Gun rack question

Hi,
I'm building a couple of gun racks for a retiring coworker. They'll be similar to this one: http://www.thedolk.com/gunrack/index.html
Just something so they have a safe place to stay.
Does anyone have any ideas for those rubber baby bumper things on the upper rack where the barrel sits? I'm thinking of just leaving it plain and letting him decide whether to put something there, but in case I change my mind, does anyone have any thoughts? Not ever having built one before, I think I'm more interested in what NOT to use than what's best. What would put marks on gun barrels, etc.
If I don't use anything, then I probably won't hurt anything.
Dan
Dan wrote:

I would not use rubber, nor would I leave it bare wood. I'd go to the fabric store and get thick felt to line the barrel support groove. It looks nice and does not mark the barrel.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Didn't see the original post, but I would concur with Tim's assessment. You might take a trip to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro shop if you have one nearby and look at what they use in their gun safes to rest firearms against. Looks like some kind of tightwoven carpet.

wrote in

Thank you gentlemen. After some googling I've come up with the idea of self-adhesive felt tape, similar to what they use for furniture on hardwood floors. I should be able to find something like that around here.
Thanks again.

To save the pain of driving around to several locations before finding something you may want to consider a web order. This on-line merchant from Little Rock AK - http://www.durofelt.com/image_24.html - is offering their SAR1614BK-M in a black felt that is a very nice quarter inch thick cushy pad. They also offer a thinner material for lower cost.
- mkaras