Gun rack question

Hi,

I'm building a couple of gun racks for a retiring coworker. They'll be similar to this one:

something so they have a safe place to stay.

Does anyone have any ideas for those rubber baby bumper things on the upper rack where the barrel sits? I'm thinking of just leaving it plain and letting him decide whether to put something there, but in case I change my mind, does anyone have any thoughts? Not ever having built one before, I think I'm more interested in what NOT to use than what's best. What would put marks on gun barrels, etc.

If I don't use anything, then I probably won't hurt anything.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I would not use rubber, nor would I leave it bare wood. I'd go to the fabric store and get thick felt to line the barrel support groove. It looks nice and does not mark the barrel.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Didn't see the original post, but I would concur with Tim's assessment. You might take a trip to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro shop if you have one nearby and look at what they use in their gun safes to rest firearms against. Looks like some kind of tightwoven carpet.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sat 29 Nov 2008 12:44:52p, Mark & Juanita wrote in news:7YmdndWNTuY5EKzUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Thank you gentlemen. After some googling I've come up with the idea of self-adhesive felt tape, similar to what they use for furniture on hardwood floors. I should be able to find something like that around here.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Dan

To save the pain of driving around to several locations before finding something you may want to consider a web order. This on-line merchant from Little Rock AK -

- is offering their SAR1614BK-M in a black felt that is a very nice quarter inch thick cushy pad. They also offer a thinner material for lower cost.

- mkaras

Reply to
mkaras