Guitar Stand Woes

I'm really stuck. I've searched the web for designs without finding one that works for me. Seems that the more utilitarian designs aren't attractive and the attractive designs aren't utilitarian. I've taken my very utilitarian store-bought metal one into my shop and tried to envision a nice design that incorporates the utilitarian functions more elegantly. I've experimented with trying to create bent wood laminated members, but with limited success.
All of my previous experience is in making furniture and such, where the basic form is box-like and I'm feeling really inept trying to envision a free flowing form. Any suggestions?
John B said:

Woodcarving? A natural for free flowing designs - if you can afford solid blanks.
FWIW,
Greg G.
I have not built one, but here's how I would approach it:
A few utilitarian concerns: acoustic or electric? Should hold a specific instrument or a range?
Build a prototype to establish the angles and size of the contact points between the instrument and the stand. Besides getting the thing to balance (sit in a stable way) almost everything else is aesthetic.
KISS; just connect the dots (contact points) with some flowing lines and see what immerges. Concern yourself with joinery last.
I hope that helps.
-Steve

John B wrote:

I often thought about doing something like this. Browse some of the joints on Pat Warner's website, www.patwarner.com
I was thinking about using some roundover bits to make a "U" shaped wooden piece to hold the neck of the guitar, and then copy his table base that was inspired by the seats at LAX (see his precision routing section for some examples).
Good luck and let me know if you come up with a good design.
Chuck

I have a hard time thinking "beyond the box" and past right angles also - I know what you mean. I like Steve's idea above of finding the contact points with your guitar, and connecting them with some curves. As far as making the curves, how did you go about laminating the pieces into curves? Sorry if this is what you tried, but one fairly straightforward method (i.e. no steaming) involves making templates of a few thicknesses of 3/4" plywood. One would look sort of like this [) and one like this )], if that makes sense, with curves being your appropriate radius. If you wanted 1" thick piece to have a 30" radius, the convex piece would have a 30" radius, and the concave side would have a 31" radius. Take several thin strips (<1/4", depending on material), glue them all thoroughly, lay them in the template, and clamp them tight. Clamps or guide blocks on the top and bottom could keep the strips from sliding up or down. One link I found in the archives here with several guitar stand designs is http://woodcentral.com/contests/guitarstand/contest_guitarstandresults.shtml Hope this helps, Andy
Many thanks to all for the useful info. Particularly Andy, who gave me this url, which contains a design that should be readily adaptable to what I'm looking forl.
http://woodcentral.com/contests/guitarstand/contest_guitarstandresults.shtml

Wish I could take all the credit, but I found it in the archives here - I remembered seeing a similar thread a few months ago, and I was impressed with some of the designs on that website. Glad you found some inspiration, Andy

chess table was google.images http://images.google.com/images?q=%22guitar+stand%22&hl=en
there are a lot of things to look at here
Gary
THere is a cool stand that I have seen that hooks the body at the bottom and rests the body at the top of the stand. THis makes the stand about 18" total in height. the stand is 2 identical wooden hooks that stand on the floor and are hinged together at the top. maybe a strap to keep it from sliding all the way apart at the bottom I dont know if this is clear or not but I will see if I can find a pic of it to share.
Doug

You might have a look at these for some inspiration. http://www.katahdin-online.com/cradandres.html
Mike O.