Guitar making

I am interested in making my own bass guitar (solid body), although I don't know much about it. I know I have the woodworking skills and I know the feel I like in a bass, but of much of fine detail of what would make a good intrument (internal cuts and mechanisms, etc.), I am quite ignorant. I started in two of my local libraries - and nothing. I googled for books to order on the topic, but got a huge list, but I don't know if any of them are worth a damn.

I know from past discussions that there are a few guitar makers here, could one of you suggest a good book on the topic that I can either order or get through inter-library loan?

TIA Glen

Reply to
Glen

I looked in Chapter s and typed in Guitar Making Amazon has lots too..

?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=guitar+making&Submit_Search.x=0&Submit_Search.y=0

Reply to
WillR

Glen:

I think the term you should be looking for is luthier, which is the making of string instruments.

Try Luthiers Mercantile Exchange web site to start:

have kits of many skill levels.

What ever your skill level, you could always try a complete kit just to give away in order check to see if you need any (extra?) special clamps, mini-planes, additional scrapers, practice with French polish technique, and so forth.

Then go for the bass guitar of your dreams. Enjoy and good luck.

Phil

Reply to
Another Phil

Making a guitar from watching it being made doesn't look too hard other that much attention to detail. The hardest part is getting the correct woods thicknessed and sized right and the tone bars inside have complex shapes. Anything less than perfect will effect sound. Doesn't look like a beginners project at all.

If you get DIY check out 'Handmade Music', it is an excellent show that shows the construction of music instruments. Also look at the web site as it might give you some info so you can decide if your up to it.

also hear that you can buy kits. This might be your best solution as instruction will have all the measurements for you and I know some have pre-cut necks so you don't have to go cutting precise fret slots. I really suggest you look to make sure those tone bars are measured and well documented before buying as in my opinion from watching these episodes this is critical.

Good luck on your way to becoming a Luthier.

Reply to
Derrick

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:43:12 GMT, the inscrutable Glen spake:

Google for "luthiery book". It might cut the list down. Grizzly sells luthier's tools and instrument wood, so check their catalog.

is another source for both those and kits. You can (or could) also buy kits to build one from Ebay. G'luck.

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's tons of good info at

. If you register with them (free, and free of spam) you'll get access to their library of archived discussions, and there's just a wealth of info there. Read the New Builders mini-faq, too. It's a really helpful group over there, but make sure you're questions haven't already been asked and answered.

I've also heard good things about Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar," which I think includes details on making a bass. I don't own that one since I build acoustic.

hth, Jon

Reply to
Jonathan

Another guitar parts supplier

WillR

I can't help much with book recommendations, but I have built several electric solid body guitars and basses for my own amusement. I started with the "kit" concept, and later learned to build my own necks. I would suggest you buy a pre-built bass neck from "Stew-Mac" or one of the other kit sellers, and do the rest yourself. Laying your own neck is tedious, but can be done with the right tools and knowledge, and it could be something to work towards if you want a second or third project. You'll learn a lot from the first one about what not to do on the second! Good luck.

babygrand

Reply to
babygrand

Look below at the OP - he doesn't want to make an accoustic guitar, he wants to make a solid body bass guitar. Big difference. No issues with top board supports, etc. Pretty much just a shaped slab of wood. Great project for a first project.

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Also try rec.music.makers.builders

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

From my experience (I've probably read most of those books), the book to read to build a solidbody electric is "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. Well presented, sense of humor, and no assumptions.

Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca

Reply to
Dave O'Heare

A supplier to try is Stewart MacDonalds Guitar Shop Supply, you'll find everything you need books, wood, electronics, etc.. Their catalogs are kinda cool too because each one has different tips and techniques woven in to the product listings. I've been using them for years ( I build acoustics when time allows) and have never had a problem. They also have kits that include everything you need, that's what I suggest for first timers (minimizes problems and builds confidence)

Links is

snowdog

This is a great resource. I have the CD-ROM video. It is good to see all the steps in action.

petermichaux

try this

not bad tools and the guitar kits

Reply to