Grrrr...electricians

Page 2 of 2

Are you sure about that? Towns will frequently require licenses to work as electricians, but not to actually do work. My town requires that of plumbers, but not electricians; and only for plumbing water, not gas.

According to the electrical inspector, that's the case. And if you have any experience in these sort of things, that's the only opinion that matters.
todd
Next thing you know, you'll need a licensed designer to tell you what color your walls need to be... but I have to go, the licenced member holder is here so I can take a whiz (otherwise the insurance company won't pay-out water-damage claims).
(I didn't actually type this, it was typed-in by a licensed keyboardist)

It's a field in which marginally qualified people can make more than they could framing because of stupid "laws" like you mention and because almost no one has any idea what they really do. Get as many bids as you reasonably can and choose by competence (for YOUR job, you ain't building a factory), personality, AND price. With luck, you may even find someone to sign your papers after inspecting your work and being paid a reasonable amount for the help/supervision. This is handy if you know one, especially. I wouldn't ask a guy who is not pretty busy to do this, however. There ARE good guys out there, like there are good mechanics, but it's up to YOU to find them. I've seen bids vary by a factor of nearly three! Take your time. WL

I spoke with one gentleman that I suspect would have let me do some of my own work and just checked it. Here's what happened with him. I called him on a Wednesday. We set up to have him come out Friday afternoon. On Friday morning, the first guy I had come out and look called to give me his price. I thanked him and told him I was waiting for a couple of other numbers. 30 minutes later, guy #2 called and told me he decided he didn't want the job because he was too busy. Coincidence? Maybe. But it gave me a bad feeling.
The other thing that gave me a bad feeling is that guy #1 wants $2200 to run 70' of 3/4" from the panel in the house into a disconnect panel in the garage and pull #8 wire. The trench outside has already been dug. I say fuggetaboutit.
todd

Why? You've got a lot of good thinking going for you Todd - why the "bad feeling" stuff? You'll certainly see lots of boogy men lurking in shadows if that's what you're looking for. Life's way too short for that. Besides, that's what the wimmin folks are for.

No kiddin', Fuggetaboutit. It's an easy job to do at this point. Do it yourself for a couple hunnert bucks in materials and salute it from the coffee pot.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

It's just odd that the day before the guy was gung ho and two hours before he's supposed to arrive he's too busy to take the job. Hey, I'm not sayin....I'm just sayin.

If I could, it would already be done. Sadly, the electrical inspector doesn't share my opinion of my electrical skills. The city requires a licensed electrician complete the work or no final inspection. No final inspection, no final C of O.
todd
todd wrote:

My Dad was in a similar situation many years ago. Note that the electrician has to complete the work ... but perhaps he does not have to rough it in.
The deal my Dad worked out was that he would pull the wires and mount the boxes but not connect the wires to anything at either end. That was left for the electrician, who looked over the rough work before pulling out his screwdriver.
The inspector was in and out in about 5 minutes once he saw the electricians signature on the work.
Might work for you, too.
Bill
--

I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.

Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)
Plus you may be able to purchase the electrical cable and pony panel at a contractor's discounted price. The contractors do not mind because at the end of the month they get a volume discount.

todd wrote:

to do with it?) but were kind enough to point him in the general direction of the door.
Bill
--

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker,
that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own

Every hear the term "Independent Contractor"?
Now you know.
RonB