Grrr - Domino...

Some time ago, I had a few hand powertools stolen out of the garage. One thing I never replaced was my PC plate joiner. For small to medium blanks, I figured I could get by with a router slot cutter if needed (a bit sloppy for me) - or nothing.
Works well enough for those smaller projects, but I've never been too satisfied with my results - always some alignment issues - but nothing a #7 can't resolve. However, for my dining room table project, I'm tempted to get something to help with alignment for the glue up.
Certainly I could glue one section up at a time - and am half tempted to go that route given the visibility of the project. I've also been investigating the Dowelmax - which looks to be a great thing. If it were even just $200, I'd pull the trigger. But it's $270 base - over $350 for the 1/4" guides. Given what I've read, could be an "every project" type tool... Even at $350 - I'd go that route before getting another plate joiner.
Given the price though, it's 1/2 of a Domino - another ungodly expensive tool. Mix in the price of an FMT (which has called to me for years) - I could get Dowelmax ($350) for now - and FMT ($600-700) when the chair project comes around after the table...
Struggling a bit with the options. I've learned to wait till the need dictates a purchase - and buy once. "Speed" isn't really a selling point to be honest with you - I don't mind being in the shop woodworking. Flexibility and strength in my joinery are the top criteria.
Seen a few postings that seem to indicate that the Domino makes everything else obsolete. Yet the cynic in me thinks this is similar to a new restraunt that opens up - the hottest thing for a while - and then is just another place to eat.
Eh, back to the research....

On 17 Dec 2007 18:22:42 GMT, jbd in Denver
I believe 5 times is enough.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Markem wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

I am sure that he is not doing this. It is some kinda hiccuping process with his ISP or whatever. This was posted a week or so ago and a discussion has already occurred.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Different subject lines
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:45:53 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Or he is not seeing his post on Teranews and is getting frustrated? Seems most likely to me.
Mark

Posted those a few days ago... Thought it was broken. Wasn't on TerraNews or Google. Terra wasn't sending I guess. Till now.
My apologies...
Again, very embarrassed.
jbd in Denver