grr-ripper opinions

Right. Conveying a long board into a cut is an advantage for the gripper. Also, the conformable bottom on the tool allows a better hold of contoured materials for the same purpose.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

When feeding a long board, my hands are already a safe distance from the blade.
What exactly is the obsession with not sawing off fingers? A bit of caution is a good thing, but go overboard, and you might as well not use a tablesaw at all.
In article <8df5752b-0477-433b-89cd-

Then you aren't the target audience, so don't buy it.

Well, I dunno about you but I find them useful things to have.

So to you the choices are to use a shopmade pushstick or go overboard?

Been playing music for over 30 years. Fingers are *very* useful for that.

Or keep your machine tuned up and pay attention.
Why just *one* shopmade pushstick?
In article <0649116a-5c2b-44f1-97fd-

Wouldn't more than one be going overboard?
And why is it so horrible to use a store-bought push stick instead of making one?
Quite frankly, you're starting to come across as a loon.

I've been trying to come across as cheap.

I'm with you Lew. Just another fancy gadget.
On 10/24/2010 3:23 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:

Easy to say that if you've never used them.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 10/24/10 3:57 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

And what's wrong with a fancy gadget? :-)
--

-MIKE-

There was a thread on it recently--if you look for it on Google Groups you should find it.
Bottom line is that it works nicely, does what they say it does, in principle you can make a workalike without much trouble, in practice making a workalike is more effort than it's worth unless you're just doing it for the exercise.
On 10/20/2010 7:48 PM, Four Fingers wrote:

Buy two.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Agreed
Mike M

The reviews on Amazon glow. Other information--including manuals--are available on www.microjig.com, the manufacturer. eBay offers the best prices, including the pairs that appear to be optimal. Not cheap but what does your first bloodletting cost?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Not a solution looking for a problem, these things are great and as others have said, get a pair. They come with a jack leg that will support the gripper when cutting narrow stock. This prevents the pusher from tilting. It is handy to have one ready with the jack leg adjustment when you are in a ripping production mode and you stock is narrower than the gripper.

As the others have said "get two". I was lucky enough to find two at a garage sale for a great price, but I was planning on getting a pair anyway. They work every bit as well as advertised.
Steve

FF:
Check that www.microjig.com website.
Microjig also offers two accessories besides the MJ handle: an attachment that allows cutting stock thin as 1/8" and a transparent plate for deflecting chips and, apparently, for connecting two grippers side-by-side on wide stock.
A lot of folk using this report they are able to do away with the featherboard or at least adjust it--in certain applications--to apply less tension on the workpiece, reducing pinching of the workpiece and kickback.
It would be nice if the system was not spendy but as you imply 4 fingers on each hand is good. By the way, in Spanish, all the digits are "dedos" (fingers), so your handle would lose a bit of the ambiguity if you're ever translating.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

I guess my opinion is somewhere in between the rest. My opinion is this is a good safety accessory for a pretty high price.
You can make suitable safety accessories yourself for little cost and some time, or you can purchase them. Your choice. If you decide to purchase, the Grr-ripper is the best I've seen.
I made my own before the Grr-ripper became available, and I am satisfied I am operating safely. If I had to choose today, I'd do the same, thinking my time is hobby time and making my own is worth it because I enjoy doing it.
Others feel their time is more valuably spent on more "productive" work. Which I believe is reasonable point of view as well. Just not for me.