grr-ripper opinions

I'm with you Lew. Just another fancy gadget.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Easy to say that if you've never used them.

Reply to
Steve Turner

OK, I'm game. Why just the first chapter?

MUCH better this time, Maxxy.

Crystal's _How Language Works_. My stack of "to be read" books has gone from a stack into an entire 7' tall bookcase, but I do make headway every now and then.

Question: Have you been able to watch television again after reading that book? I think that it might make it harder for ya. (I already gave up TV nearly 4 years ago. Amazon and the library are my closest friends.)

-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And what's wrong with a fancy gadget? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Keeping the fence dead parallel to the blade is the best anti-kickback device. With a heavy, overbuilt fence such as a Biesemeyer, alignment is a maybe once every two years task.

Reply to
Father Haskell

When feeding a long board, my hands are already a safe distance from the blade.

What exactly is the obsession with not sawing off fingers? A bit of caution is a good thing, but go overboard, and you might as well not use a tablesaw at all.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I'm on my second Kindle. Saves trips to the library. I have on occasion watched Nova, Nat'l Geo, Discovery, and, if I'm particularly bored, I'll watch part of a football game. I watched Faux news once and it scared me.

Maxie. (but only to friends)

When the evidence overwhelmingly supports the proposition it would be perverse to deny it. S. J. Gould

Reply to
Max

Then you aren't the target audience, so don't buy it.

Well, I dunno about you but I find them useful things to have.

So to you the choices are to use a shopmade pushstick or go overboard?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You didn't answer this one.

It's a bit more expensive than the library, but I'm sure it saves lots of time and hassles. They put a self-check scanner in our local branch so I can be in and out of there, dropping off books and grabbing another armful, in 5 minutes. But they're only open about 20 hours/week. Kindle has WIFI, eh?

I'm glad I'd swallowed my tea before reading that line, ya wuss.

Rightio!

-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah, the first chapter only question. It occurs to me that the individuals involved aren't the sort who might be willing to slog through the rest of the tome. (interesting how closely the spelling is to "tomb".) But they need only the first chapter to discover that semantics often determine one's whole way of thinking and that disagreements often arise when someone has not the lexical dexterity to phrase his/her opinion precisely as required for clear understanding or the recipient of an opinion lacks the vocabulary to accurately interpret what was intended. On the other hand, one or the other of the fine gentlemen might be a bit of a pedant. Or maybe someone pissed in their Cheerios.

Max

Reply to
Max

wow, Max. Are you trying to be arrogant and condescending or does it just come natural? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mmm, hmm. That bad, eh?

They's a passel of boaf dem types herebouts.

Or C) Both of the Above.

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Um..............sarcastic........maybe?

I left out the possibility that, using an old expression of mine, "maybe the fire ants are in hibernation". I have several friends who, in their idle moments, descend into confrontational arguments. These folks are highly intelligent compatriots and ordinarily present cogent reasoning in any discussion in which they engage. ( I suspect the same applies to you and your antagonist) but when "the fire ants are hibernating" and my friends don't have to direct their attention to eradication activities (they aren't "busy") they join in debate over relative trivia. I have on a number of occasions read your worthy posts and was a bit surprised at the time you devoted to a more or less pointless diversion. The same applies to your opponent.

(Oh...... the book is a challenge. That's why I used the words "slog" and "tomb". I suspect that the author needs to produce a certain number of publications and has run out of ideas for letters to the editor)

Yours for increased sawdust production, Max (as you can well imagine I don't have a problem with fire ants)

Reply to
Max

In here? Never.

I'm stealing that fire ants thing.

I have a few that are a challenge to read because it seems the author tried too hard to create paragraphs from what should be sentences, chapters from paragraphs and a book from what should have been a chapter.

I have a few others that are a challenge because there's so much packed into each paragraph, my brain hurts after only a few pages.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Been playing music for over 30 years. Fingers are *very* useful for that.

ide quoted text -

Or keep your machine tuned up and pay attention.

Why just *one* shopmade pushstick?

Reply to
Father Haskell

quoted text -

Wouldn't more than one be going overboard?

And why is it so horrible to use a store-bought push stick instead of making one?

Quite frankly, you're starting to come across as a loon.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've been trying to come across as cheap.

Reply to
Father Haskell