grr-ripper opinions

Page 1 of 3
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has it. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pI712&cat=1,240,45884&ap=1
Opinions?
"Four Fingers" wrote:

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, why not?
Otherwise, why bother?
Lew

It's worth every penney. You might not believe it until you try it. I have never known anyone that has tried it that didn't think it was great.
"CW" wrote:

Is that with or without feather boards?
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Yes.
"Lew Hodgett"

I responded:

Further thoughts:
Whack up a 2x6x96 construction timber into 8-10 equal pieces, then cut back on each side to provide a "hook" at the end and you suddenly have 8-10 double sided push blocks.
Add a feather board(s) as required.
What am I missing?
Certainly not the money still in my wallet.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

That's fine for pushing from an edge. The grr-ripper has high friction material on it and no hook so it can push from the center of a piece, letting you (a) apply pressure toward the fence and (b) hold the piece down while not having your hand anywhere near the blade.
Also the various pieces in different widths let you deal with relatively narrow strips.
And it's quite helpful with the router table and jointer as well as the table saw.
Next time you're in Woodcraft spend a few minutes with the thing--take it apart, put it back together, and think about it and you'll likely end up taking one home.

"J. Clarke" wrote:

You need to take a wood working 101 class <G>.
The above becomes a non issue when you have finished the course. ----------------------------------------

SOP if the saw is set up properly. ------------------------------------

So are decent push blocks; however router and jointer tend to be machine specific push blocks. --------------------------------

Don't think I've ever been in a Woodcraft.
Don't even know if there is one in the area.
I try to stay out of retail stores except for my local hardware when necessary.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Uh huh. So tell us what we would learn.

So how does "setting the saw up properly" move narrow strips past the blade?

Uh, what do you believe the Grr-ripper to be other than a "decent push block"?

That explains much.

Must be nice to be able to afford a personal shopper.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

That's what the 101 course is all about. -------------------------------------

Safely. ------------------------------

Over engineered and over priced solution waiting for a problem. --------------------------------

Thought it might help. -------------------------

It's called a telephone, a credit card, and UPS.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

What, moving wood through a table saw without touching it anywhere except the edge?

Tell us the mechanism by which it does this.

I see.

Must be nice to be able to afford shipping charges on a can of tomatoes.
Lew, do you have multiple personality disorder? You're usually pretty sensible, but right now you're the same sanctimonious twit we saw in the Abby Sunderland thread.
On 10/23/10 4:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

They sell tomatoes at Woodcraft, now?
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Do try to follow the thread--he said that he doesn't go into _any_ retail stores.
On 10/23/10 11:41 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Do try to put in in context.
>> (YOU) >> Next time you're in Woodcraft..... >> > (HIM) > Don't think I've ever been in a Woodcraft. > > I try to stay out of retail stores except for my local hardware when > necessary. >
I don't think it takes the highest level of reading comprehension nor logic to determine he's talking about buying woodworking stuff, not his daily groceries.
wow.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

You're inferring something that he did not imply.
On 10/23/10 1:02 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

No, you're just being argumentative.
According to you, we should assume that people get their fruits and vegetables at Woodcraft and the local hardware store.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

No assumption needed. Most Americans get their fruits and vegetables at a retail store.
Your inference was that "retail store" referred _only_ to stores related in some way to woodworking.
On 10/23/10 4:29 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Bullshit and you know it. But go on and keep arguing if it boosts your self esteem.
--

-MIKE-

Wow! Still sore.
Bullshit and you know it. But go on and keep arguing if it boosts your self esteem.
snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Why are you so determined to pick a fight over this? Did somebody steal your life or something?