Grounding Shop Vac Hose

Page 3 of 3
Tom Watson wrote:

Hold on there a minute big boy. Before "we" get to far along into this thing I think maybe you might want to hear what happened to my brother's best friend's brother-in-law's brother. Seems there was a particularly bad/nasty gaseous build up and to make a long story short, shop dawg lost and eye and the entire shop burnt down to the ground.
I am pondering other applications though.
UA100

Yeah, well, wif evidence like dat I 'spose this means you won't be investing.
Even if I agree to paint it purple
<sigh . . .>
Just to digress considerably...
Years ago a rather crazy Turk we knew decided to demonstrate the fact that certain bodily gasses were capable of being ignited. This guy originally had hair like Osama Bin Laden, but, after ignition, looked more like Mohatma Ghandi and he also gave flashdance a whole new meaning.
He lost all hair from the thighs, crotch, stomach, chest, beard and hair in what seemed like a 1/2 second flash-bulb type burn. No lasting damage but I still get tears in my eyes just thinking of it.
The things we do.
Greg

Groggy wrote:

What would you give me for a story about carrying stick matches in the pocket of tight blue jeans?

And continue to do.
UA100
zippo. (play on words of 'zip', as in 'nada')
How the hell are you, bad monkey??
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message ...

(blink, wince). I'd pay attention, not cash; unless you can relate the story to the tune of Buddy Holly's "Great Balls of Fire"?

Darwin Awards capture some our more deserving efforts, however, I do like seeing contender home-videos on TV every now and again, it helps to keep one focussed.
--
Greg

Kee-rist. Coffee everywhere. I have a laptop. I hate you.
Michael Dab-dabby-dab-swab-swabby-swab-dab-dabby-dab I hate you.
Some part of the vac should be grounded via the wall plug so you could use the wire trick running along the tube and tie it to some metal part on the vac, like the motor mount screw. I'd try just attaching to the base of the hose before playing with a long annoying wire. Maybe you could strip some Romex wire and use that (remember to sand the connecting points to remove the wire sealant).
I'm not sure if this will work, but I've read on here that running a wire inside the tube, taping it to the walls will stop the buildup of electricity. Running it on the outside is probably the second best thing to do, and mounting it to the base may help?!?! not sure, but easy to try.
I get a hell of a zap too btw, but now with a real dust collector I don't have the problem!

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Spray the hose with an anti-static fabric spray such as "Cling Free". It also keeps your shop camisole from clinging.
Nova wrote:

Jack, I'm in the process of making a camisole for my shop but I have white walls, a limeish green floor, my machines are mostly gray (grey David), I have some that are blue (50's vintage Craftsman), a garish green one (Powermatic) and quite a bit of MDF I've used for shop infrastructure items (screw/hardware shelves). And this isn't even mentioning the colors (colours David) in my wood stash (everything from ash to zebrawood). This leave me in a quandary. I know that I could probably use any color as I would be borrowing from the complementary item but I just wanted to bounce this off you to see if you had a recommendation, a "one color fits all".
By the way, believe it or not but I don't have anything urine yellow (DeWalt) so I don't think I would want to go that way. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
UA100
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:39:38 +0000, Unisaw A100 wrote:

Urine yellow is much lighter (unless you really save up a lot of coffee). Dewalt uses "Baby Shit" yellow.
--
-Doug

Unisaw A100 wrote:

The answer is obvious. PURPLE!
Nova wrote:

And there it was right there in front of my where it was right there.
Thanks Jack.
UA100