Grounding Shop Vac Hose

Page 2 of 3

consider it a public service to the human gene pool. weed out the weak and all....
; ^ )

Compressed air isn't nearly as funny. And Steam is too much work.

Me too. Some folks take anger management classes. Me? I've decided to raise mink.
Hmmm, was your reply supposed to be funny, thought-provoking, or entertaining? Oh, well. Some people just _have_ to talk I suppose.
--
gabriel

Gabe, it's the *net*. Kind'a like 3 degree background radiation. Always there. Always annoying. Turn your squelch knob a tad more to the right.
mttt wrote:

See! I told you. Now I'm thinking he's funnier than Tom Watson.
UA100, who is wonder, who is this guy?...

Response below in anuth'a thread. My fault for growing up in Wes-kon-sin. Damn time for my Prozac to be on back-order. Can Merck do that?
'Sides, I know how this works. I show up at the first Cabal breakfast. Lot'sa laughs. Back-slapping. Everyone leaves - and I'm stuck with the check (cheque).
Fool me 1,312 times, shame on you. Fool me 1,313...
mttt wrote:

There Is No Cabal Breakfast.

sigh...
UA100
mttt wrote:

I dunno. Ever hold the nozzle 'tween your fingers and make a high pitched whine that drives the dog nugging futz? Ever blow open your mouth in front of the kids with a burst of air? Ever take balls of glazers compound and a piece of conduit and shoot your neighbors.
Dollar for dollar nothing matches the entertainment value of compressed air.

Steam, what's up with that?
UA100, wondering just how humorless can people be...

"Honey! Can I buy an air compressor?? Puleezzee??? I really need one!"

Then they'll hopefully read the whole thing. If not, and they become Darwin Award candidates, let's hope they haven't bred yet.
Deep breaths, Gabriel. DEEEEEEP breaths...
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

But, but, then who would we get to laugh at?

I'm thinking Gabby got his sense of hoomer caught in a car door.
UA100
Oh, the breeders will always produce enough of 'em. Keeps the herd strong, or weak, or something...

Sense of hoomer, or something...
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Sorry Wes I'd sure love to advise (advice in wreckspeak) you on a cabinet saw but I'm laughing too much.
UA100
gabriel wrote:

Well, you see, there was Grandma and she was flying these jets in the Sinai...
UA100
"gabriel" > wrote in message ...

Since we're being so literal Gabriel, the posts won't live forever - not all of them even get archived. Besides, in a few hundred years there will be little nanobots to clean up for us - if we are still around that is.
If someone reads those posts, including mine, and takes them seriously, then the gene pool may be cleansed a bit more to help get us to the year 6500.
BTW, Luigi is renowned for his mischievous sense of humour and the responses are hardly surprising. I honestly thought he was trolling and not serious at all, silly me.
Greg

go ahead and let it explode. make sure your homeowners insurance is all paid up first.
then you can buy more tools.....
|While I was vacuuming the shop tonight, I noticed that sawdust was |clinging to the hose and nozzle. When I touched the Shop Vac, I got |quite a shock. There is obviously a seriously dangerous problem here, |that could lead to sawdust explosions through static sparks, just like |in dust collectors. | |So my question is how does one ground a shop vac hose? I have googled |and, while there are many references to grounding PVC pipes and dust |collectors, I have not seen anything about shop vacs. Have you done |it? Or do you have any ideas on how to do it? I wouldn't want to be |the victim of a Shop Vac explosion.
Fortunately, you can't ground an insulator. If you could, there wouldn't be a piece of electronic on the planet that worked, thus we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Why carge builds up is explained (more than you want to know) here:
http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/2001/janfeb/mrstatic.html
Why an explosion is highly unlikely is here:
http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/1999/novdec/mrstatic.html
One of the problems is that _you_ become charged while vacuuming _if_ you are insulated from ground. Then you touch a grounded conductor and zap. Most of us these days are walking around in insulated shoes.
In the electronics industry, where electrostatic discharge (ESD) is a serious problem, they use heel straps that connect to bare skin and the bottom of the shoe. They then walk around on conductive mats. We don't have to go this far. Leather shoes and soles on concrete will bleed off the charges that disturb us. Or just bend over occasionally and touch the concrete with your hand. I can't speak to wood floors.
Raising the humidity will help, but that is usually counterproductive to woodworking and in Arizona where I am 6 or 8% RH is not uncommon so we have ESD problems in spades.
You can run a "grounding" conductor in or outside the hose and bring the business end to the same potential as the vac or collector, but you are *not* grounding the hose.
You can buy (semi)conductive hose. There are also topical treatments that increase the moisture retaining properties of the surface of the hose.
http://www.bjz-eppingen.de/eng/bjz.asp?nav1=Static%20control&nav2=Techspray
Mr Zagnasty, I'm sorry I called you a liar in my first reply. That wasn't very nice of me. My brain got <OB Electrical term> overloaded reading that thread about bandsaw coplanar -ity -ness -something.

An important issue, and one that can't be brought up enough. Safety's the name of the dust collection tune.
Immersing the entire shop vac in water before turning it on will eliminate any potential for static buildup. The iono-impediance factor will approach zero, negating any concern about electron bounce.
If you don't have a bucket of water, de-ionize the shop-vac unit with the pee out of your sawdust bucket. That'll work _just_ as well.
Michael "It's all about the flow."
Mike, I sure hope you're coming up to Westmoreland in May.
-- Bob

I'm trying to get Keith Bohn to invest some money in my new start up venture that addresses this very issue.
It's mostly just a piece of # 12 wire that attaches to the shop vac hose at one end.
On the other end is a suppository.
That's why I need Keeter to get in on it.
Lest there be any innuendo concerning this - KB's involvement does not involve the suppository but the assthetics of the piece.
The color, really.
Purple.
"...and we thank you fer yer support."