Grounding Shop Vac Hose

Page 1 of 3
While I was vacuuming the shop tonight, I noticed that sawdust was clinging to the hose and nozzle. When I touched the Shop Vac, I got quite a shock. There is obviously a seriously dangerous problem here, that could lead to sawdust explosions through static sparks, just like in dust collectors.
So my question is how does one ground a shop vac hose? I have googled and, while there are many references to grounding PVC pipes and dust collectors, I have not seen anything about shop vacs. Have you done it? Or do you have any ideas on how to do it? I wouldn't want to be the victim of a Shop Vac explosion.
TIA
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Although it is technically possible to cause combustion in a dust collector by a static discharge, I doubt you'll find anyone who has actually had it happen. And stories concerning a friend of a friend don't count! LOL
That said, discharge kits are available all over with a quick internet search.
Here is a link to Rockler. http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page#85&sid 935
You can tell by the photo there, that it is relatively easy to construct your own kit for your vac with minimal trouble.

Bill <bill wrote:

It can give you a little shock. I ran a flexible wire down the outside of the hose, attaching it with a circle of tape at intervals. Where the hose plugs into the vac, put an automotive disconnect plug in the wire. Continue along the power cord and end with an alligator clip to connect to the outlet box. If your boxes are hidden and or plastic, you could connect it to the ground (round) prong of the plug or to the screw on the receptacle.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

scribbled:

Don't have a dog. Would work with the neightbour's snotty nosed kid?

Would a rubber band earthing strap work, like Mr. Shipdeckbeam suggested in an earlier thread?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Hi Luigi, The only problem is the start you get from the shock. The conditions are not right for an explosion. JG
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Just connect it to half of the 220 volt circuit. You'll be fine.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Is the rest of this post all lies, too?
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:23:46 GMT, Michael Baglio

No. Everything is true. I just had another thought. Given the low volume of air sucked by a shop vac, wouldn't the concentration of dust be much higher than in a DC, making an explosion even more likely?
By the way, Mr. Shipdeckbeam (Betcha you didn't know you had a woodworking name, eh?), I noticed you posted a suggestion on how to ground PVC pipe not long ago:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm |9nvvg39cd5aeqva39icg99990l91t11k%404ax.com
Would this also work for Shop Vac hoses? How would you drive a Shop Vac hose into the ground as a grounding rod? Or is PVC OK?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Depends how far away your grounding pipe will be from the compost heap. More than a few feet and the reduced ionic capacitance flux is going to call for #6 rubber bands, not #10. And the _red_ SillyPutty. Definitely the red.

C'mon, use yer head fer something 'sides a parka parker, eh? It's all about the flow. In this case, the plastic/vinyl/petroleum byproduct ionicals within the ShopVac hose itself. Gotta get 'em going back 'n' forth... back 'n' forth...
See, whatcha do is...
Slowly approach the Shop Vac hose with a picture of Jenna "All Silicone" Jameson. When the Shop Vac Hose gets hard, bang it in da ground. WHAM! Dere ya go.
But for GOD'S sake, #6 rubber bands. Post pictures on ABPWIRSM&M.
Michael It's all about the flow.
Question.
While I DO NOT have silly-putty, I DO have a case of circa 1980's (or 1970's?) Green Slime in the little plastic trash can. If I let this lay out for a day, it gets VERY thick and tacky.
Is this a viable replacement for red silly-putty?
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

ago:
cg99990l91t11k%404ax.com
Bill wrote:

No but you do have the basic fixings for a tack rag.
Let it firm up and get hard and you have an abrasive belt cleaner.
UA100

I keep getting email about viagara. will that help?
OK, so where's the social responsibility in this thread? Grounding a vaccum by zapping a dog's nose or even by connecting the shop vac to "half of the 220 volt circuit"?
Do you guys not realize that google exists and someone somewhere WILL eventually follow your asinine advice? Yes, all our posts live forever. And yes, someone looking to properly ground their shop vac WILL see this thread.
Why not joke with something less serious than electricity?
Man, sometimes I feel like grabbing people, shaking them, and saying "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!?"
--
gabriel

Do you kiss your mother and/or wife with that potty mouth?
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.
"gabriel" < snipped-for-privacy@no--spam.com> wrote in message
Leslie Gossett wrote:

Sorry. Normally I don't cuss gratuitously, but this makes me really angry.
--
gabriel

lol...just teasing!
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.
"gabriel" < snipped-for-privacy@no--spam.com> wrote in message

gabriel- this got the responses it did because it has been so thoroughly debunked, time and again, but still won't die.
dust explosion in a shop vac my ass.....
Leslie Gossett wrote:

If you think his statement was offensive, you should hear my wife. My mother too, for that matter.
Silvan wrote:

LOL! "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" Boy was Shakespeare right on the ball or what?!
--
gabriel