Groovy Question

My house has a few half round corner shelves, in pine. The shelves appear to be from two to three edge joined boards and are quarter sawn. On the underneath is a shallow groove running from 1/2 way down one straight edge across to the same place on the other straight edge. Now it occurs to me that this might be to prevent cupping, except that grooves to prevent cupping usually run with the grain. Is my surmise correct, and if so why across the grain, and why in quarter sawn? Just curious.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Peter Ashby asks:

Plate grooves. So you can stand display dishes on edge without special holders. Check the insides of most fancy corner cabinets, similar straight cabinets. Same thing.

Charlie Self

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yes, that makes sense, turn it over and you have a plate groove. Thankyou, I hate not knowing these things.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

I hate not knowing that I didn't know! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom