groove in tool rest of new Delta grinder?

I'm a newbie (both to ww and the wreck) read the FAQ and searched the archive but think I have a new one.

Why is there a deep, angled groove in the left tool rest of the 6" variable speed Delta grinder? I just got it to hollow grind the bevels on bench chisels that I am sharpening - Hoped to be done before going back to class on Tuesday, but can't figure out how to keep the tool from wobbling as I move it across the rest with that groove.

Is there a replacement part available? - Couldn't find it on Delta's site. Is there an EASY way to retrofit a flat rest? Saw lots of complicated retrofiting ideas in the archive, but would sooner replace the grinder.

If replacement is only option, what 6" slow speed grinder is recommended?

Thanks for any help.

MDP

Reply to
Marie P

Believe it or not but that is for laying a drill bit in and sharpening it. I have a funny feeling this design came from the marketing department and not from a wooddorker/person familiar with grinding and sharpening drill bits.

I doubt it as nothing shows in the catalog either.

Lee Valley has a rest that kinda wipes the snot out of most OEM rests. I would take a look see at that. The worst that can happen is you'll eventually trade up the 6" to another grinder and carry over the Lee Valley rest.

I would dump the wheeled grinder and switch over to a small belted grinder. Trouble is most belted grinders (OK, sanders) on the market aren't that good. If you can find one that will track a belt then you'd be good to go. The belt will run cooler and it's way easier to switch up through the grits.

Besides, with a belted grinder you can grind non-sparking metals, something not recommended with a wheeled grinder onna 'count of the wheel loads up and comes apart while it's spinning.

As always, this is In My Humble Opinion, Your Mileage May Vary and all that other crap.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Just a thought, but why not swap the wheels so the one you use is on the right hand side.

Reply to
Keith