Grizzly vis a vis Tormek?

Page 2 of 2
says...

One of my regrets is that I didn't grab my Dad's Simplicity tractor when he died. He had the reel and sickle bar mowers for it, as well as the brush saw, plow, and a few other accessories. That was a nice piece of equipment that I didn't really appreciate until it was gone.
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:34:37 -0500, "J. Clarke"

OUCH! But I'd bet you had good reason at the time.
says...

I was mostly caught up in the vicissitudes of life a thousand miles away--I really should have rented a truck after the funeral but I didn't think to do that until I was back home, and by that time my mother had hired somebody to empty the house for her and . . .

While I'm thinking about it... The WS3000 does require some maintenance. I keep a brush next to the other glass disks to clear the metal particles when I change grits. (I've seen those metal particles start to heat and glow--gotta clear them!)
I've had to take the machine apart a few times to clear out debris that was keeping the spindle from turning at the proper speed. If they had installed a felt pad or something, it'd probably solve that problem. I'd be willing to admit the generic paper may be compounding the problem, so if anyone keeps buying genuine WS paper and doesn't have to do this, I'd like to know.
When you need more of the super fine paper, here it is: http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa
Puckdropper
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 4:11:08 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

IF you really want a Tormek and, like me, cannot afford it, you might try building your own. Here is a jib I made that does, essentially, the same thing. The only down side is, you need a mini-lathe to power it. (more details upon request.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102019397/SAM_2335.JPG
Deb
On 01/15/2016 10:41 AM, Dr. Deb wrote: ...

Clever...unfortunately, I don't have the lathe; never was much of a turner and didn't move it from TN as there wasn't any place dry when we came back to the farm until we got the new roof on the old barn other than a small corner that wasn't room enough for what did bring, even... Have regretted the decision a few times, however...

On 1/15/2016 10:41 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

He could afford mine....it is sitting collecting dust.
On 01/15/2016 12:32 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I contacted you yesterday via your e-mail, Leon(*)...was awaiting a response. Figure this would be better offline...
(*) At least I got no "bounced" return.
On 1/15/2016 12:42 PM, dpb wrote:

I did not get it and some of my posts are not showing up. I AM having internet issues but the technician is suppose to show up this afternoon.
When resounding to my e-mail take "dot" our and insert "."
I am interested in selling the whole set up.
On 1/15/2016 12:51 PM, Leon wrote:

Jeezzzz When responding, take the "dot" out and insert "." in its place.
On 01/15/2016 12:51 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Had done...resent anyway.

I had presumed that, too.... :)

"dpb" wrote in message

So, dpb, here's a pretty thorough and honest account of a hands-on shootout between a woodworker's Tormek and a Grizzly knock-off over an extended period of time, during which it's interesting to see how his opinion evolved. Check it out and see what you think.
http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm
As for myself, I have a Tormek that's about fifteen years old that I bought used in 2005. In my opinion It's one of the best pieces of gear in my shop.
Tom
On 01/17/2016 9:39 PM, tdacon wrote: ...

Actually, it's the Jet rather than Grizzly but that's a "no-never mind" in many ways.
Thanks, appreciate the link; it basically confirmed for at least the Jet what I figure is more than likely true for the Grizzly (and other clones as well) -- there's a reason the Tormek is as expensive as it is (altho I still think it's overpriced for what it is).
Some of the amenities Jet included would be good enhancements for Tormek; no idea whether they've done so but I do know there are at least three or for incarnations since that article.

"dpb" wrote in message
On 01/17/2016 9:39 PM, tdacon wrote: ...

Oops.
Tom
On 01/18/2016 1:14 PM, tdacon wrote:

As said, still appreciate it -- it's basically likely what the Grizzly review would've said, too, altho perhaps with some slightly different warts.
Looks like moot point as guess Leon and I have come to an agreement offline...