Grizzly tools -> Canada (repost)

Hi,

This sort a repost. A week ago I meant to post it here but accidental posted to rec.crafts.woodturning. Did not get any replys there. Hope this doesn't bug people who read both sites.

repost........

Does anyone know if there are problems bringing Grizzly tools into Canada. They are clear they do not ship to Canada but I am unclear as to why. If its a marketing issue then its not a concern to me. What I am wondering is, is there a problem with CSA approval, or something else to do with bringing tools over the border that I am not aware of.

Bottom line is I live a two hour drive to the Bellingham store(so can pick up) and am not sure if I should consider Griz tools in purchasing decisions.

Probably the main reason I am looking at them is the rise this year in the Canada dollar. Local tools stores have not dropped their prices to reflect their reduced costs but buying in the states does reflect the change.

Thoughts,

Glen

Reply to
glensmith

There is a store in Pickering that sells many Grizzly products,I will find the number for you

Reply to
Pick

Glen, I don't think you'll have any problem bringing Grizzly tools over the border. I haven't done it but I did do a little research on it because I'm close to Bellingham as well. I called Canada Customs to find out what the details of bringing across a power tool (non U.S. made) were and this is what I was told:

-Duty is 6% of the purchase price based on CDN funds.

-GST and PST are then charged on the CDN value and the duty. Here is an example:

Grizzly 6" jointer G1182ZXHW 475.00 USD

$475 plus Wash. sales tax (6.5% i think) is 30.88 for a total at the store of 505.88 USD. At today's exchange rate that is 659.57 CDN. When you get to the border you pay 6% duty on the CDN value (39.57) for a total of 699.14 CDN so far. You then pay GST and PST on this amount for a grand total of $800.52.

The little things add up even if the exchange rate is good. Anyway this total was still less than I would pay for a General jointer up here but then I got to thinking about repairs. If something goes wrong with the Grizzly you've got a serious pain-in-the-ass situation. Bringing that thing back to the U.S. means stopping at Canada Customs on your way there and blah, blah, blah, it just wasn't worth it to me.

That's just my 2 cents ... hope it gives you a little info.

---BeerBoy in BC

Reply to
BeerBoy

Glen,

I bought my General 350 in Victoria when the looney was low. (fine machine and a bargain) Bringing it into the US was no problem because it was made in North America. Customs took one look at the big maple leaf decal and I sailed on through. Unfortunately Grizzly are imported into the US. For sure the Canadian customs will charge the GST and maybe PST. Plus there may be an import duty. I suggest you call Canadian customs and perhaps Grizzly in B'ham may have some first hand experience with cross-border shopping.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That is USD for a visiting Canadian. If you are a citizen, you just show your USA Club Card and that jointer sells for $157.

We thank you for subsidizing us. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The same factories in Taiwan supply dealers in both the U.S. and Canada, so it's likely Grizzly's agreement doesn't allow them to market in Canada. For instance the Grizzly 6" jointer appears identical to the Busy Bee 6" jointer.

I haven't seen or heard of Canada Customs ever being concerned with checking for a CSA or C-UL approval. Typically it's just a matter of handing over your receipt and a credit card.

I'd personally check around locally. Once you add in sales tax in two countries, duty, four hours of driving and the hassle of dealing with any problems (would Grizzly send you replacement parts if anything is missing or bad?), I doubt if there'll be much savings. I also expect that once the current dealer inventory in Canada is turned over, prices will come down.

If you do some looking around you should also be able to find a used Delta or General for the same or better price than a new third-world clone. The former will not only keep you happier, but will hold its value much better than the latter.

Good luck

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

Glen

My understanding is that Grizzly tools are not available in Canada because Busy Bee Tools is owned by a relative of the owner of Grizzly. There is some sort of agreement between Busy Bee and Grizzly to the effect that Grizzly tools are not sold to Canada. Busy Bee sells the same items (or at least some of them, probably not the full line) under their name "Craftex" or at least that is what I think their brand is. I think that you may find that Busy Bee's prices for the same item are less than you would have to pay if you import Grizzly to Canada from the US and Pay the exchange and duty. You will have to pay GST and PST either way.

You should check what I have said with Busy Bee, because I am telling you this from memory, and I may have forgotten some part of the story.

Don

Reply to
Donald Cranstone