grizzly tent sale, worth the drive?

i'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a grizzly G1023SL(X?) tablesaw and i noticed they will be having a tent sale in a couple of weeks. it'd be a haul for me, but i could drive over to Muncy. is it worth the drive, or is it better just to bite the bullet and pay "normal" price for the saw?

thanks for any insight you can provide, seth

Reply to
seth livingston

The danger (IMO ;-) is your willpower.

I had a TS, routers, drills, jigsaw, etc., but needed a plainer, jointer, band saw and drill press. I told SWMBO I was going to take the seats out of her van and drive to Griz and get what I needed & save the shipping cost. Fortunately I was able to buy the plainer, jointer, BS, DP and dust collector from someone getting out of woodworking. If I'd have driven to Griz there's no doubt but that me and my credit cards would have bought these + a shaper, a lathe, a .... , and whatever else Griz had on sale.

An advantage of going to Griz is assembling the tool on the parking lot to see if everything fits. I upgraded from a Delta bench saw to a Griz G1022SM (their cheapest a few years ago) but one of the wings was warped and absolutely, positively could not be made square to the TS. The Grizzly folks were very nice and let me upgrade to cast iron wings for the difference in price and 1/2 the shipping. My TS works great, but it was about a month after initial delivery before I was able to use it with a smile. (The difference between a bench saw and a contractor saw is the difference between a Chevette and a Corvette )

When I buy a cabinet saw, if I'm anywhere close to the vendor I'm going to drive there, get the saw, assemble it in the parking lot, resolve any problems on the spot, disassemble it, drive home, and put it in my shop. Since people have reported problems with Grizzly items as delivered you may want to do the same.

My $0.02.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I asked this of a friend who has been. He said the key is to get there EARLY like when it first opens. He said the good stuff goes fast.

Reply to
Brikp

Try a google search of rec.woodworking for previous threads on Grizzley tent sales. Not everyone has enjoyed the tent sale experience.

Reply to
Charles Erskine