Grizzly Shipping--are you all satisfied with it

Related to my earlier posts about which table saw to get, what is the recent experiences with Grizzly as far as shipping quality?
Do your tools look like they have been run over on the way to your house or are they in perfect condition when they arrive?
My other concern is what if I get the saw and start putting it together and something is messed up? Anyone with recent experience as to what Grizzly does--send replacements, do you have to pay more shipping both ways for your messed up part?
Thanks a lot, this board is very helpful.
Jeff
I received a big heavy floor model drill press just before Christmas, and although one corner of the cardboard box was damaged, the contents were safe and sound. I thought Grizzly did a good job of packing the parts by encasing them in form-fitting styrofoam. You'd have to bang up the box pretty severely to damage the contents.
Jeff wrote:

So far so good.

Same answer. My jointer and planer were even perfectly set up right out of the box.

I've only ever had a bolt missing; and that arrived without any additional cost to me.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

You should do a search of the group for discussions about Grizzly shipping as there have been a lot of discussions about it lately.
Bob McBreen
I had a tablesaw shipped. The driver had to make a second trip because the fence was misplaced, but it arrived a day later. No problems scheduling a delivery and the driver was right on time. The boxes are bound to take some abuse as the contents are heavy, but the contents of the boxes were just fine. That is what packaging is for.
-Jack

My table saw arrived in good shape relative to the shipping.
I worked with Grizzly customer support on two issues. In both cases they seemed quite committed to my satisfaction and were even willing to ship out two new cast iron wings without my having to return the defective ones if necessary. (Since I was willing to make the extra effort to clean some paint slop from the surface of the wings, it was not necessary).
If a problem can be resolved without talking to their technical support people, you can call the sales line (toll free) . Once you (or the bonehead on the sales line) need tech help, they tell you to call the long distance number. It bugs me that I have to pay the long distance bill to resolve their problem, but aside from that, I'm very happy. The technical staff is very good.
Tom M.
In rec.woodworking
I just received a G0555 Band Saw. I picked it up at the terminal so I could have it over the weekend. The box and everything inside was perfect and I got it 2 days after ordering it.
100% satisfied.
the box is usually messed up, but the machine is always without a scratch.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Jeff" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
It's OK I bought a G0500 Jointer last month which was my first purchase from Grizzly. Boxes looked like they through them off the back of the truck several times to get the right patina. Equipment was fine. My one complaint is I filled out the "notes" section to give them delivery instructions as in don't try.. I live one block past the end of the planet I'll pick it up at the terminal. They tried to deliver anyway and I had to call the local hub and tell'em to give up I'll be in Madison today anyway. Some driver spent 4 hours trying to find the end of the planet and never found me...In his defense it was a nice day for a drive in the country. On Grizzlies behalf they are pretty upfront about your responsibility to inspect the shipment before signing off.
EJ
Grizzly has excellent customer service. They will pay for return shipping on damaged items and reship free of charge the needed replacements. That said, my G1023S arrived in excellent condition. The boxes were fully intact and everything was dialed in. The shipping damage is going to be variable as a function of the particular company who handles it, and so you'll get different responses from different people around North America. On the West Coast FedEx Freight delivers for Grizzly and they were excellent. They even brought it into my garage for no extra charge. I didn't even pay for the lift gate service. What more can you ask?
Brian.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeff) wrote in message

Got a 1023S TS and a drill press from them in the last 2 months. Shipping was fine--boxes were beat up a bit but equipment didn't appear damaged from transport.

Drill press was fine, but table on the saw had dip in it (long thread posted if you search for it). I'd count on some tune-up regardless. After complaints to email and phone support, Grizzly sent replacement table that was better and I sent back old table ($22 UPS). Policy is that if they agree with my diagnosis, they will reimburse my shipping costs; otherwise they won't and may charge me restocking fee. Haven't heard back from them yet, so don't know. But if all it costs me is the $22, I'll survive. If it matters, I'm real happy with the ts now. Good luck.
I ordered a G0555 bandsaw and G1013 sander. They both arrived in fine shape. The sander was delivered to my home and I picked the bandsaw up with a friend and his pickup at the terminal.
On 2 Feb 2004 12:48:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeff) wrote:

Wow, what a great response overnight. Thanks for all of your comments.
I can remember reading some other posts about shipping and the one about the dip in the TS top, but when searching yesterday, I could only find shipping threads from around the year 2000 so I wanted to make sure you all were still satisfied. Looks like I am going to be on the waiting list for a while, but hey, I have lived without the table saw this long, what is another 6 weeks.
I might end up picking up the TS at the terminal, not sure if I can get away from work, plus if I did have to unload, it would be alot easier from the back of my truck than a delivery truck at the end of the driveway.
Thanks again, I will keep you posted on the process.
Jeff
(Jeff) wrote:

I purchased a 6" jointer just before the holidays, and had a good experience with the shipping. The delivery service called a day ahead (perfect, because I needed a postponement and was planning to call them anyway). The truck arrived on the right day, but had no lift gate (I hadn't asked for one and apparently they weren't available from this carrier). The driver helped me get the two boxes from the truck to the ground in front of my house. One box was torn up on one side, but upon inspection (in front of the driver) the jointer appeared to come through without any noticable problems or scratches. Two hand truck trips later, my jointer was in its proper place and ready to assemble.
I've been very happy with the jointer so far.
In retrospect, given the absence of a lift for delivery, I would think twice (and did) about ordering anything much heavier than what I bought. The jointer was around 260 lbs, and that was manageable for me + a hand truck. I don't think I could have moved one of their larger pieces by myself. I recently chose to buy a table saw locally rather than from Grizzly, in part for this reason - the Grizzly version I was looking at was around 460 lbs.
If Grizzly were to change their delivery policy to guarantee a lift gate when needed (even at additional cost) this would have swayed my decision towards them. But I do plan to purchase Grizzly products again in the future when I have a better way of getting them from the street into my shop.