Grizzly Polar Bear Series

Page 1 of 2

Any scoop on the "new" line of "P" series "Polar Bear" tools from Grizzly. We were getting geared up to take a run to Springfield during the next day or two to buy a G0453 15" planer. Now they have thrown in the "P" version at a lower introductory price and claim it is identical to the basic except for paint and a new switch mast (and the price). I could care less about the white paint but the switch mast is kind of nice.
I am a suspicious Irish kind of guy and wonder if any of you have experience with the new line of tools.
RonB

I was all set to buy a G0715P but my dentist ended up with most of the seed money. <sigh>
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

That bites! Marc
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:12:14 -0700 (PDT), marc rosen

Not any more. The one crown which had detached and he glued back on just popped back off half an hour ago while eating potato chips. Well, I got 2 good weeks out of the $80 glue job.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Larry Jaques wrote:

channelling lew: epoxy. maybe some microballoons added.
or you could try http://thistothat.com :)

<g>
And end up gluing my tongue to my palate? That'd be awkward.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

For some.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Here, have a nice, moist cracker, Toy. It's a Cyano de Bergerac Special.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Smells like bitter almonds.... you sure it's okay?

Wait a minute.
I guess it doesn't matter as much as it did a few days ago.
We drove to Springfield yesterday and picked up a G0453P.
It is in the garage.
Never Mind ;^} RonB

.....waitasec.....that's a drive-by.....NICE!!!

Yep. And pretty close to being a drive-by Gloat. Also picked up a 2hp Dust Collector and basic start up plumbing kit.
But that is not the Gloat. My wonderful wife has been very close to nagging me to buy this equipment for several months.
She even helped my unload that 650 pound machine from the trailer last evening.
Now how is that for a GLOAT?
RonB

*tips hat and takes a bow* (All I can hope now is that she didn't pick it up single-handedly and walk it up a flight of stairs.)
I'm a lucky that way too. When I first retired in 2003, she stood there, head slightly tilted, hands on hips, listening to my explanation why I needed a few tools. 7 Years later, she just did the same thing. Once I explain things, and she buys my story, she's behind me 100%+. She trusts me when I swim through a pool filled with a bevy of naked Canuckistani Beaver, but isn't too sure about me when I go to David Eisen's Tool store. She also knows I pay balance owing when the credit card statements show up. She also knows to shake her head when I say: "It is only a 4 cylinder engine, dear." But when I add: "NOT like those gas-guzzling 6's and 8's the OTHER people drive!" she tells me to give it a rest. LOL
On 9/22/2010 5:35 PM, RonB wrote:

Heavy sucker, idn't it? I'm betting you'll like it. I have the green version, and it's worked flawlessly for me.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Funny thing - I walked into the store and started talking to the older fellow (age 72) and he seemed familiar. After comparing notes I realized he was the same guy who sold me on my 1023S table saw 9 years ago. I ended up ordering it via internet but he did a good pitch. He said he worked his way up though the oil industry and went to work for Grizzly in '2000 to supplement retirement for a couple of years. Then he realized it was the cushiest job he had ever had and stayed. Besides, he is a woodworker and they have a lot of toy discounts. Makes sense!
I made it easy on him this time because we live closer and we arrived with a trailer. He, like the advertisement, said the G0453P was supposed to be identical to the G0453 except for color, the improved switch mast and price. But he also mentioned that the removable front and back cabinet panels have rounded instead of square corners. The improved switch mast is much nicer than the original and is being incorporated into all of the planers in the future. I finished cleaning and assembly last night (except for power plug) and was very impressed with overall fit and quality. Those removable panels are very sturdy. Less impressed with the fact that the gearbox did not have enough grease in it but I have seen some comments about that. In fact, in several months of researching this and similar planers, gearbox grease level was among the worst comments I could find. I can live with that.
Now I have to put the dust collector together. Opened the box yesterday afternoon. Reminds me of a train set I started assembling at midnight on Christmas eve ever several years ago. All parts.
Oh well.
RonB
On 9/23/2010 2:41 PM, RonB wrote:

Actually yes, the gearbox is the one minor nit I have. Not that it was low on oil (it wasn't), but that after cleaning up the whole machine and using it for quite a while, I started noticing oil accumulating on the outside of the machine (and sawdust getting stuck to it). I lived with it for a while, but then after investigating I found that it was really nothing more than minor leaks where the hex screws secure the main "gearbox cover" (ref 401 on the parts diagram) to the gearbox. I removed the outer "gearbox cover" (ref 27, different than the main "gearbox cover") and tightened the screws holding #401 in place and I haven't had a problem since.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

You knew the drill before you went there.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Sounds like the glue was on the close out rack at Harbor Freight or maybe the $0.99 store, or is that where you found the dentist.
Lew
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:36:41 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

No, it was dual cure (moisture and UV) dental adhesive of some sort, Lew. And the dentist's credentials didn't have that CrackerJack box smell to them...
So, whattaya got for me?
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:29:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Right. The experiment failed, but I'm still pissed at the whole situ.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.