Grizzly Jointer

I am stuck between the Grizzy G0500 and the G1018HW jointers. Being that I have a brother-in-law with a machine shop I could make the 5" table extensions myself. OR do I need the extra 1/2 HP and extra cutter blade?
Bill
What's the difference in price, $100? Go for the big iron.
(Unless of course you have to wait 6 months for the 0500)
Montyhp

Few people post here complaining that they bought too much tool after the fact. The stories of regret of buying the lesser machines are many.
Frank

You are right what is a 100 Bucks, I will get the longer one! Bill
On 21 Nov 2003 21:36:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@oldcolorado.com (Bill) brought forth from the murky depths:

Don't forget that having a BIL and actually getting him to do the work (properly and in a timely fashion for cheap/nothing) are entirely different things.
Every time I cut corners like that and think I'll build a better mouse trap for near nothing, I end up spending a hell of a lot more time and effort (and sometimes money) than I originally thought it would take, and that's only IF I end up doing it at all.
You're smart to spend the ducats now and have it now.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
I have the G1182Z (with levers) and love it. Don't know how I could live without one, use it all the time. couldn't imagine trying to use anything smaller.
djd

I have the same one and my neighbor has the 8" variety which is substantially larger. I don't need the extra width/length often, but it sure is nice when you DO need it. Unfortunately, the space in my shop was more of a limiting factor for me than the price.
Jim

Spend the extra $100 and get the G0500! Greg