Grizzly G0586= Heavy!!

Hiya folks, Well I received my new G0586 jointer last week. I figured I'd set it up when I had some help given the weights they quote for it. Well my impatience got the better of me and I went ahead and put it together last night. They aren't kidding when they quote it at 550 lbs (shipping)! Anyway, the stand and mobile base were fairly easy. Lifting the jointer itself proved to be a real chore. I'm only 5'7" and tip the scales at about 150 lbs so trying to maneuver that thing around was kind of interesting. I am hoping to build a shop someday and this gives me good reason to incorporate some sort of a hoist in it!

Anyway, I haven't tuned it up yet but a few observations of it. Fit and finish were "OK". Not great on the paint as there are a couple of places where the paint was scratched/chipped during packaging/shipping. Grizzly's sending me some touch up paint under warranty so I'm not too bothered by that. The unit itself seems very solid and well built. Hand wheels turn easily and everything appears to be precision made. I will say this. As long as Grizzly keeps selling tools, the middle east has no worries about declining oil consumption. This thing was literally covered in the stuff. Dripping actually. Right down to the last lock washer. It cleans up relatively easily however so I'm not complaining, too much. The only real issue I had with the assembly was the electrical. Connecting the power cord into the motor was a bit of a pain. I almost recommend taking the motor off it's mount and wiring it up where you can see what you're doing. As well, there was no convenient ground to attach to but alas, it's together and I'm looking forward to using it. I still need a plug end for it so haven't been able to fire it up but hopefully in the next few days, I'll pick one up.

Well thanks for letting me rant. I was pretty proud I got this thing together by myself and just wanted to share. After putting together a standing drill press, 14" bandsaw, 1023SL cabinet saw, and now the jointer, I think I'll be safer in the future and get some help! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" said: "Well thanks for letting me rant. I was pretty proud I got this thing together by myself and just wanted to share. After putting together a standing drill press, 14" bandsaw, 1023SL cabinet saw, and now the jointer, I think I'll be safer in the future and get some help! "

I think you're gonna love it. :-)

I found that my workmate, with its legs retracted, was aproximately the same height as my truck bed and the top of the jointer stand. So when I unboxed the jointer bed I could walk it from the truck bed to the workmate, and then when the mobile base finally came in, walk it off the workmate right onto the stand.

I note that mine is the workmate 550, and I knew, way back when I bought it, there had to be a reason why I bought the one rated for 550 pounds. I just didn't know exactly what it was, back then.

Reply to
else24

Congratulations on your new machine. I spent last weekend picking up, moving downstairs to the basement, and assembling my new G0490. I originally had the 586 on order, but switched to the 490 when it came out. You're right, these things are certainly a chore to move around.

I picked it up at the freight terminal, drove home and mounted the machine to a 2x12, then used a chain hoist in my garage to lift it out of the bed and onto a big dolly. Then I rolled that from the garage into the house to the top of the stairs and slid the jointer mounted on the 2x12 down a ramp I attached to the stairs. Used a winch to counteract gravity a bit so it didn't get going too fast.

Moved the chain hoist down to an I-beam clamp I have in the basement and lifted it up onto the base. Have a few scratches also on the machine, but Grizzly has been helpful in that regard. I consider the minor damage close to miraculous since the entire side of the crate was ripped off and missing when I went to pick it up at the terminal. Not partly torn off, completely gone! The styrofoam blocks that hold the extra parts were just hanging out of the side of the crate. Fortunately, nothing was missing.

The G0490 comes with a stripped power cord that only requires wiring a plug to the end. No big deal. It's a bit short and I wanted a longer length, so I bolted a small metal junction box to the heavy rail at the bottom that supports the wheel for the mobile base and connected a

25' 10ga power cord to the smaller cord. Since 10ga is the same as the wiring in the wall, that should work fine with little or no voltage drop. My next step is to extend my dust collector to the dust port, but I did turn it on and it's nice and smooth. You can balance a nickel on both the infeed and outfeed tables, turn it on and off, and both nickels remain standing. Not bad!

TT

Reply to
TT