Grizzly G0580 vs G0555

The G0555 is the one that gets all the mention, google archives barely even mention the G0580. I'm trying to see if I understand all the differences.

The stand: Both open, but the G0555's is closed front and back. I presume it's a bit more sturdy.

The motor: 1 hp vs 3/4 hp. However the amp ratings are 10 vs 9 which leads me to think the difference is not much.

Roller guides vs blocks. The google archives show people switching out the rollers on the G0555 in favor of blocks. I'd like to use smaller blades more often than resawing, so I prefer blocks.

The table dimensions are the same, but the G0580 tilts left 15 degrees, the G0555 10 degrees. I'm not sure what this indicates, beefier trunions on the G0555?

The G0555 has 2 speeds, but I fail to see what the 1500 fpm speed is for.

G0555 has a better fence.

Shipping weight 210 vs 163. Motor + stand + fence differences add up to 47 lbs? They must share the same castings. right? Though the riser blocks have different part numbers they look identical.

It kinda bugs me they want to charge me another 10 bucks to ship the riser block separately, they can't fit it in the truck with the saw?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Seemes no one responded yet so I figure I will. I have some experience with Griz in general but not with their bandsaws. based on the specs and marketing info I'll comment.

Weight, in general, is a good thing in stationary tools. It equates to less vibration and generally indicates a better built product. From the picture, my guess is that much of the weight difference is in the stand.

Fence - In general I a big fan of better fences. I'm not sure how critical that is in bandsaws because I don't own one yet. How much better is that fence on the 555?

So, is all that we mentioned worth $100? I'm not sure. Both seem to be a great price for what you get. Maybe go cheaper and invest in some good blades or an after market fence?

Anyway - Once you decide and then get it up and running it would be great if you could let us know your final comments.

Good luck

Reply to
No