Grizzly G0500 vs Delta DJ-20

I'm about to purchase a jointer, but can't decide between a Grizzly G0500 and the Delta DJ-20. I expect to purchase one or the other from Amazon in the next week or so. I want a quality machine but also would like good value. At Amazon, the Grizzly is $775 while the DJ-20 is $1,263 (a whopping $500 extra). Both have free shippiong and a $50 promotional discount. Is the Grizzly really as sweet of a machine that I hear several folks tout. It has the 4 bade cutter and price going for it. The Delta speaks for itself for quality and better resale. So what do you folks think?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Do a google groups search for recent posts concerning Delta's current quality control. I don't own any Delta equipment so I can't comment from personal experience, but I do own the G0500, and the 1023SL tablesaw. I hated the fence on the saw, but have no complaints at all about the jointer. Mine has flat beds, flat fence, runs smooth, and no missing parts upon delivery. Spend the extra $500 on some wood,

Zeke Change com to net for e-mail

Reply to
Zeke

I have a DJ-20 and looked at the Grizz several times before purchase.

Why the DJ-20 for me? Parallelograms and the infeed table! The movement of a DJ series jointer bed is head and shoulders above anything that runs in dovetailed ways.

My DJ-20 arrived missing a belt, guard, push blocks, and some screws. I received them about two weeks after calling Delta. Grizzly equipment has also been known to arrive with problems or damage.

You payz your money...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I bought a DJ-20 last fall, paid about the same, thought long and hard about the Griz (having owned Griz products in the past) and went with Delta. I figured better resale (for my estate, as I am never selling it), infeed bed, and better table adjustment as noted in another response. I did not see a major advantage to the 4 blade design of the Griz in terms of result when the wood hits the jointer(but I never owned a 4 knife jointer either, and logic says you get a better finish), only increased cost in sharpening the knives. My experience with Griz is hit or miss, in that if you get a good one, its as good as anyone elses' product, but if you get one with a few "issues" its a PITA to get them right, which Griz eventually does but I simply did not have time for the potential pain and the inevitable hole misalignment, filing down edges, general tune-up type of tweaking which you have to expect with a lower-priced unit from Griz, Reliant, General International, Sunhill or whatever, whether its a blurfl or jointer. But then again, Delta is not perfect either and that's why I bought from a local dealer just in case I needed some support. I figured the extra $500 is negligible over the useful life of the machine, e.g., over the 20 years I hope to be around to use it the incremental cost is 50 cents a week. By the way, the local dealer was careful with delivery, crate and boxes intact, all the parts, superior fit and finish and ran true after minor setup. I have face jointed about 500 board feet of hard maple, cherry and poplar so far with very satisfactory results. I highly recommend the mobile base they sell if you go with delta. Either one you buy, get a buddy to help with unpacking and assembly as the cast iron is heavier than you ever imagined. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Mutt

"Gary" wrote in message news:...

Reply to
Mutt

I bought my DJ20 at the same time as Barry. I did get the pulley guard cover and pushbocks. But I did not get a properly machined support for the fence. It keeps riding upand not stay flush with the outfeed table when I try to tighten it. Delta is shipping me a new one. I was reading a thread over on woodnet and a guy just picked up a DG20 with a damaged outfeed table. It is frustrating and I definitely will consider General or Grizzly in the future. On the other hand the support from Delta was pleasant and very prompt. I have had issues with them in the past on a contractor table saw. I contacted them several months after the inital problem and they stepped up and resolved the problem.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

As mad as I've been at Delta lately, let me reinforce the following:

The DJ 15-20-30 series jointers are quite different from most other consumer and small shop machines. I really don't think I would have spent the money on one if I hadn't used a 20 and a 30. They really are that different from many others.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Got a phone call today. My Griz 500 will be here Friday afternoon. Pulsate. Throb. Now if only I didn't have to do major dental owies tomorrow. grumble, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I'm sure you won't be disapointed, its a fine machine. One tip though, Before you mount the jointer to the base flip the base over and break loose the motor mount bolts. The factory can tighten them way too tight and it can be a knuckle buster to loosen them after assembly. Enjoy your new tool.

Zeke Change com to net for e-mail

Reply to
Zeke

Update: Reading the fine print, Amazon is just the store front for Grizzly, so no $50 discount nor free shipping on the G0500. Grizzly charges $78 shipping. So the cost difference is significantly reduced from ~$500 to $347. (Griz $775+78=$853). (Delta $1,250 - 50 =$1,200) The Delta keeps looking better and better.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I have a DJ20 and love it. The table is extra long and that's important when truing up long boards. I've checked it for square the past 8 years and it is always right-on. The downside is that this sucker is heavy--two strong men to lift it onto the base. But for stationary tools, heavy is a good thing.

Reply to
Phisherman