Grizzly G0500 jointer - How does it ship?

I am about to order the 8" (75" bed) G0500 jointer from Grizzly, but I am a bit concerned about unloading the thing when it gets here. I see that the shipping weight is 460lbs. Can anyone tell me if it arrives all in one crate or is it 2 or 3 or what? I think I may have to either order a lift gate truck to deliver it or pick it up myself at the terminal so I can unpack it from the bed of the truck piece by piece.

Any advice?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

click on "Specification Sheet." It comes in two boxes, but I didn't see the weight breakdown.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Two boxes, 455 and 5 pounds.

Only kidding!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I have the Sunhill, but I'm assuming the Grizzly ships the same way. In that case, the main casting and fence come on one crate and the base & motor in another. It's not unreasonable for two men to unload either of them from a truck so either hope for a friendly driver or have a neighbor available when it arrives.

I wouldn't recommend unpacking it piece by piece before moving it into place. You don't want to be picking up the main casting by the infeed and outfeed tables. If the crate with the castings is too heavy for you and a friend, pop the top off and remove the fence. That will lighten it up enough for two guys to carry quite easily.

Personally, I prefer picking things like this up at the freight terminal (which is what I did). They forklifted it onto my trailer which I backed up to my cellar doors. A neighbor and I then carried it down into the basement without much fanfare.

Reply to
Scott Post

Frank,

It came in two parts, one crate, one box. One with the tables and fence, the other with the base and motor. I had the freight terminal load into my pickup, then I rented an engine hoist to pick up the top part and move it into the garage. Next, I put the bottom on the mobile base, then uncrated the top and used the engine hoist (being careful to route the chains so they were lifting by the base casting rather than either of the tables) to lift the top onto the base. I was able to do this all by myself.

It is definitely worth renting or borrowing an engine hoist if you are alone.

Incidentally, the table is only 65" with two 5" bolt on ends.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

I can only assume, but my 1182Z shipped with the main unit in one box and the base with the motor already installed in the other. There was very little assembly work. Your boxes will just be much heavier and more girth.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Frank,

Do you have a neighborhood auto repair shop with a flat bed tow truck or towing service that you are familiar with? Have the jointer delivered to them, they back up their roll back tow truck to the back of the delivery truck trailer, the jointer is slid onto the roll back, tied down and delivered to your house. The roll back lowers the bed of the tow truck to the ground and you slide the jointer off.

Reply to
Rumpty