Grizzly Compliment

I received a small order yesterday from Grizzly for a threaded insert to fit my Jet lathe. It was only $7.95, but the shipping and handling was for $8.20!

Well, the insert arrived. However, it was a left hand thread. Now to figure out who screwed up, me or them. Well, it was me. I never saw the (LH) in the part number when I placed the order.

I fired off an email to customer service explaining my mistake. Within

2 hours I had a phone call from them. The rep said she would have the proper one mailed out to me ASAP at no charge to me. When I asked for instructions on sending the wrong one back she said not to bother, and that I should just keep it. It wasn¹t worth putting me through the expense for returning such a small item.

I've always had good luck in dealing with Grizzly... this is just icing on the cake.

Joe

aka 10x

Reply to
10x

Good for you and Grizzle, Joe.

Reply to
Leon

I bought a hand held sander from Grizzly and when it arrived it was DOA. The switch would not turn the darn thing on, so I called customer service and they overnighted a new one to me and told me to keep the other one for spare parts.

Great company, that Grizzly.

Dawg

10x wrote:
Reply to
Cooniedog

Very early in my career, learned to never order by part number alone, but rather use the phrase, "Similar to Part Number except", then give a written description of the device.

Forces the factory to read and enter order correctly or call back and clear up any differences before entering order.

Saves a lot of possibly very expensive mistakes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah I don't think you can do that any more, especially if you are ordering lots of inventory. GM really could care less what information you provided along with the part number, they shipped the part number, period. And that was as late as the late 70's.

Reply to
Leon

In my old shop with Future Collectibles, I had big Grizzly iron. It was heavy, it was true, minimal set up, and accurate! I miss the old shop, but I can attest to their belt sander, table saw, band saw, dust collector, and all the accessories you can slap on them as well. The only draw back was taking all the time it took to remove the cosmolene that all the iron was coated with. A local Griz rep told me that when the stuff is shipped over the pond - they want to make sure no moisture whatsoever got on the iron. I can attest that not a spec was to be found anywhere.

Jummy

Reply to
Jimmy Mac

Standard inventory items get ordered by part number.

Any item that in any way might be considered "special" gets ordered by description.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had a similar experience with them years ago when I broke a part on my jointer. The lady was very appologetic that the shipping was more than the part itself. I was just happy to be able to get it so quickly (48 hrs later) as I had been waiting for a part for my bandsaw (Jet) for 4 weeks. (It came another 2 weeks later and had a handling charge of $20 on top of the cost of the part)

Lenny

Reply to
lenhow

Mamiya America Corp backordered a 2mm screw for my camera for more than a year. By the time it showed up, I had either lost or given away whatever was broken, or just gotten the screw locally, because I could find nothing that was missing a 2mm flathead screw. They charged a flat $10 for handling, plus .25 for the screw. (Talk about getting screwed. I think I'll build a small frame for it and hang it somewhere.)

Reply to
MikeWhy

I have a different trophy. Several years ago I hired a lawyer for some litigation. All told, I spent about $2000 on their services. About a month after all business with them was concluded, I received a cheque in the mail for $0.05 cents. Apparently, they had overcharged me somewhere. I figure some bean counter must have insisted on refunding me the difference. $0.48 cents for the stamp on the letter to send me the cheque. I never cashed it solely to screw with the bean counter's books.

Reply to
Upscale

It did not matter what it was that you ordered from GM. All they were interested in was "a" part number, right or wrong you got that part number and it was yours to keep, or return if you had enough return reserve built up and if it was flagged as returnable that month. It was strictly the dealer's responsibility to decide if the part being ordered was correct or not. I typically had 15 to 20 special order parts per week and if you were familiar with a GM catalog before the 90's it was a wonder that any special order part could be ordered correctly. The Japanese on the other hand had a picture with a number that corresponded to a listed specific part number. GM's pictures merely gave you a vague description and a hint as to where to look in the catalog.

Reply to
Leon

Glad that worked out the way it did for you Joe. Now I wonder if you could get the same response if you ordered a Left Tilt cabinet saw when you really wanted to order a Right Tilt? Marc (who wonders if all situations could be extrapolated?)

Reply to
marc rosen

Typical Detroit arrangonce.

And they still don't get it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Precisely!

I totally believe that this current economic situation that we are in is a "correction" similar to the one that happens ever seven years or so with the stock market. Way too many people were spending way beyond their means and being paid way more than their equivalency of out put. It is no time for the playing field to be leveled again.

Reply to
Leon

CORRECTION!

It is "NOW" time for the playing field to be leveled again.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Either one, "we, the people", get screwed.

Austin apparently has a thriving FM "Libertarian" radio station ... interesting stuff. Upon first listen when tripping through the dials thought I was listening to a far left outfit, then they started talking about the evils/increasing burden of property taxes on homeownership ... knew then it was more of being in the _right_ place. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Sis you manage to get through the calendar change OK?

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

It is funny how everybody is whining about the declining real estate prices. Gee, real estate was way overpriced to due to rampant speculation and liar's loans. If real estate was to acheive some kind of real world value that is a good thing. And this so called recovery that we need may not be able to do it with overpriced real estate.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:0061d1c8$0$24200$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

With real estate, as with most anything, it is worth what the next idiot is willing to pay for it. Underline and boldface IDIOT. Are you counting on the behavior of idiots?

The mess came about when people (buyers, but especially banks and mortgage brokers) were counting on an ever upward valuation spiral. Now a whole bunch of people are in trouble. I would not be able to sort out who needs rescuing and who needs stiffing.

I used to buy new cars. Some 10 or 12 years ago I decided I could not afford the car I wanted as a new one, and bought second hand. The experience was good, so I repeated it almost 4 years ago. I guess that is part of being somewhat more frugal with incrreasing age.

Reply to
Han

Yep. The housing bubble created by the loose lending policies from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pushed prices up. Now that reality has set in, the prices will come down. For people who bought at the peak of the market -- not so good, but for those who were priced out of the market, this is good news. However, if the government steps in and tries to "fix" things, what could be a correction could became a prolonged downturn.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita