Grizzly 8" Jointer - G1018HW

I'm looking at jointers in the $600 range and was considering the typical Jet/Delta but haven't been hearing good things about Delta and Jet doesn't excite me. Because of my price limit I had been looking at 6" jointers, but I see that Grizzly has an 8" for just over my price limit. I know people have been generally satisfied with Grizzly, but I'm hoping for some first-hand experience with this specific model. Also, doesn't Grizzly also require that I pick up the machine myself?
G1018HW 8" x 65" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer with Handwheels
Thanks for any thoughts! Mark

They deliver it to your driveway, which is what the shipping charge is for. You must onload it (get some friends to help!) If you live near one of the grizzly locations, you may be able to pick it up. I have the G0500 8" and I am very happy with it. I
I just recieved a flyer that their annual tent sale is coming up. If I lived near one, I would make the trek. I hear there are great deals on all kinds of stuff at those things.
Frank
On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:32:32 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

I'm also the happy owner of the G0500. I thought I had a problem with it after I sharpened my blades for the first time, then I remembered there were four of them. Great machine, but my local shipping company is a nightmare. I wouldn't buy Grizzly again unless they could guarantee a different shipper. Miami Fl if anyone is interested.
Zeke
Hi, I'm waiting on delievery of a Grizz 1023S cabinet saw. Irt was scheduled for Delivery Fri., but it wasn't, it's at the trucking terminal, they were a pain to deal with, when I ordered from Grizz, told them it was to a business and had a fork lift available, trucking company have had the info, must not of. I won't order from grizz again unless they use a different company.
Tony

Just curious Tony, in what part of the country are you located ? Zeke

G0500 now. I figure I won't be buying another jointer anytime soon. The price, 4 blades, and large table are very enticing. I have justified it to myself... now I'll have to come up with some persuasive arguments for SWMBO. ;) Thanks!

This definitely comes in the "cry once" category. SWMBO still has a "you and your expensive toys" attitude. Then I build her something and make sure she knows that it wouldn't have been done as well or as quick without the jointer.
Montyhp
"Montyhp" <montyhpatyahoo.com> wrote in message

that I make up for it when I do make a purchase. Here's a reply that usually works... What can I say, I like quality. That's why I picked you. :)
(Feel free to use that). :)
Mark

Ok, but I don't know your wife.
Frank

fence to 90 degrees is difficult. Can someone elaborate?

I had no troubles with this.
Frank
On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:28:04 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

here, Hope you don't mind Frank. The bolt that acts as the 90 degree stop on mine was very slightly bent which did make it a chore to set it at 90. I replaced it with a good quality bolt and it has been smooth sailing ever since.
Zeke

Ahh, yes. That makes sense. I should read follow-up posts before posting myself. :-)
Brian.
Should be easy if the 90-degree stop bolt is properly adjusted.
Brian.

On 21 May 2004 18:25:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (werlax) wrote:

HEAVY is the word. Shipping weight of 445 pounds. It comes in two boxes. Make sure you have some help when arrives, and when you are ready to set the jointer on the stand. I have had mine for several months, and I'm very happy with it. I work with 8 foot 4/4, 5/4 oak, and get very good results, both edge, and flat jointing prior to ripping and planing.
Don Turner

I bought one back in March. I love it. I wrote a review here on rec.woodworking. Here is the link, but also do a Google Groups search of rec.woodworking for "G1018". There's other info out there.
My review: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=G1018 *+group:rec.woodworking&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.woodworking&scoring=d&selm 111b99.0403031147.52eda181%40posting.google.com&rnum=2 Google Search: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=G1018 *+group:rec.woodworking&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.woodworking&scoring=d
Also, they don't require that you pickup at the shipping agent, it's your option. But you do have to pay extra for liftgate service, (i.e. the actually drop the machine where you want it). Otherwise, as has been pointed out, you have to unload it from the truck yourself. I knew, I would have any help to do this. So I choose to go and pick mine up at the shipper. Plus the lift gate couldn't be done till Saturday, and I didn't want to sit around waiting for the deliver. You know the routine, "we'll be there between 12 & 5 pm, but the don't show till 6:30 p.m..
Darrell
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (werlax) wrote in message

I have the new 8x72 for some time. The bed is made longer with two 3" screw-on extensions. The bed came with some pittings (but smooth otherwise) and the main jointer box half-open from shipping stress. Nothing was amiss. Had to drive to local docking yard and picked it up. Used a 440-880 lb Harbor-Freight overhead lifting gear to unload and assemble. Piece of cake with that overhead mechanism! But I had to work 2 weeks to design and attach temp support systems in the garage bay to make sure the garage or the building isn't bearing any added load.
The assembly was easy enough but do loosen the motor mounting bolts BEFORE you lift the jointer on stand. Otherwise the bolts are nearly impossible to grab for good leverage. Aligning the pulley to cutterhead spindle took about 3 attempts to get it right. You know it is right when there is no more black rubber dust around the back of the jointer! The noise level can also be a good indicator.
It is running very smooth and quiet now. Checked the flatness of table and fence with certified straightedge (from McMaster 0.0005" tolerance) and a certified right-angle. The table came out to be within 0.001" within any 24" I could measure. The fence was about the same and I could set up the fence to a near perfect 90 degree without problem. IMO it's damn good machine for the price. 8x65 should be equally good and it has been around for quite a few years. regards, kp.