Grizz goes Mythbusting

Page 1 of 2

Has anyone else seen then new Grizz band saw in the 2006 Mythbusters?
The show is ridiculously careful not to give free plugs, to the point of blurring guest's t-shirts, but it's hard to miss the ridiculous "G0555" across the top of the saw. <G> One of the only other identifiers I ever seen on the show that wasn't blurred is the P-O-W-E-R-M-A-T-I-C along the top of the table saw fence.

what's Mythbusters? A TV show? A book? A magazine?
Never heard of it.

whaaa???
Mythbusters is a TV show.
A very good one. (though their "science" is a bit suspect from time to time...)
It always amazes me how many people will talk about a TV show and, when you tell them you have no idea what it is, will express disbelief or think you are "out of touch". Surprising as it might seem, there are still some of us that are not addicted to the electronic time waster.

Unfortunately if you are sufficiently geeky to know about usenet and like to build things you have no excuse not to know about Mythbusters. It's a fact.
I'm still kinda peeved they can't grasp the concept of wood grain in the splitting an arrow myth though.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

Or the ability to train soldiers to use a mirror.
er
--
email not valid

Leuf wrote:

Yes, I agree. I watch almost no television other than the occasional sporting event. I was out with some folks last night that brought up half a dozen shows with which I was completely unfamiliar. Based on the content of the discussion, though, it didn't appear that I was depriving myself of much. YMMV.
When I was younger (than I am now at 35) I watched a lot of tube. Now I prefer to live, rather than live vicariously.
JP ***************************

I'm a certified geek and have been a denizen of Usenet for about thirty years, and I am a serious amateur woodworker - but I know nothing about this Mythbusters program.
I gather that it is a humorous attempt to dispel urban rumors. DO they actually use any hard science or do they just do backyard experiments that involve blowing things up? In other words, have they advanced beyond beign adolescents with a home chemistry set?

If this is what you think of as a fact, I have my answer about the show.

They are somewhere in between. First they try to prove/disprove the myth as stated. If the myth proves false they then take progressively larger liberties trying to make the spirit of the myth occur. For example, in the last episode they tested whether a raft filled with helium could lift a person off the ground. Well it's not much fun to fill a raft with helium and have it do the obvious. So the next step is to figure out how huge a raft would have to be to actually do it and then build it. They are Hollywood effects guys so they are real good at finding practical solutions for physical tests. They are less good about things like getting enough data to have statistical relevance.
This quote from a recent online chat they had pretty much covers it:
"Unfortunately, in the interests of the time constraints put on us by American television, some things end up on the cutting room floor. And it has always ticked Jamie off a little bit that the show seems to favor me falling on my ass over him explaining some esoteric concept."
I think the best part is they show their mistakes, and for the most part they'll admit to them, and if necessary come back and revisit the myth in a later show to get it right. Still waiting for an admission of royally screwing up that arrow myth though.

It's a fact that neither of you have any excuse. You may want to check the expiration date on your geek certificate. The two of you aren't a statistically large enough sample to disprove me.
-Leuf

You're not as much of a geek as you think you are.
Google and Wikipedia BOTH have full descriptions and official sites that would have told you all about it once you heard about it here.
Sorry, please leave your geek pass with the receptionist, it's been revoked! <G>
Barry
Robert still qualifies as Geek. Arguably an Out of Date Geek, perhaps, but a geek who's not current on kinda geeky tv shows is still a geek. One could even claim that although the audience for Mythbusters is heavily geek, that's not their intended audience.
If Robert had said he didn't know about Robot Wars or Battlebots, now that WOULD be grounds for a geek tribunal.

But a real geek still would have looked it up rather than waiting for a response. <G>
Barry
"But a real geek still would have looked it up rather than waiting for a response. <G> "
Damn. Curse you and your use of logic! I am foiled.

You've learned the lesson, so you may keep the card...
Ba r r y wrote:

[tongue in cheek]
No. On the contrary, a real geek won't pass up the opportunity to point out and circumscribe logical deficiencies in another's assertion.
:)
er
--
email not valid

The snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com entity posted thusly:

A real geek knows the difference between a robot and a radio-controlled vehicle, and looks down his nose at the latter, refusing to waste time on it.
Oleg Lego wrote:

As a former avid r/c'er, not a robotics guy, I used to look down at them for the same reasons. <G>

No, first they proved that the myth was false, they filled a raft with helium and it couldn't even lift it's own weight. So they tried a variety of rafts with the same results. Myth busted. Then they try to replicate the spirit of the myth if they can. Whether or not they can replicate the spirit of the myth, it was busted the minute the raft failed to float.

First and formost, it is a TV show. As such, they have both time and budgetary constraints. But as special effects guys, they can be wildly creative within those constraints. Added to this is that they are kinda funny guys. Add a demented support staff, including at least one totally hot babe, it can get humorous at times.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Please post pics. JP