Grizz goes Mythbusting

Has anyone else seen then new Grizz band saw in the 2006 Mythbusters?

The show is ridiculously careful not to give free plugs, to the point of blurring guest's t-shirts, but it's hard to miss the ridiculous "G0555" across the top of the saw. One of the only other identifiers I ever seen on the show that wasn't blurred is the P-O-W-E-R-M-A-T-I-C along the top of the table saw fence.

Reply to
Ba r r y

what's Mythbusters? A TV show? A book? A magazine?

Never heard of it.

Reply to
BillyBob

whaaa???

Mythbusters is a TV show.

A very good one. (though their "science" is a bit suspect from time to time...)

Reply to
Locutus

It is a show on Discover channel.

is fun, backyard science as imagined by two hollywood special effects guys.

It ain't hard science. But it does addres many popular myths in a hollywood sort of way.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It always amazes me how many people will talk about a TV show and, when you tell them you have no idea what it is, will express disbelief or think you are "out of touch". Surprising as it might seem, there are still some of us that are not addicted to the electronic time waster.

Reply to
CW

Unfortunately if you are sufficiently geeky to know about usenet and like to build things you have no excuse not to know about Mythbusters. It's a fact.

I'm still kinda peeved they can't grasp the concept of wood grain in the splitting an arrow myth though.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Um. What's a TV show?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Or the ability to train soldiers to use a mirror.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Thanks for the factual, complete reply. I don't have cable, so I've never seen it.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Sometimes you just have to go with the entertainment value.

Reply to
Ba r r y

I actually HATE TV, but that's what TiVo is for!

Cramming 2 hours of what you REALLY want to watch into an hour or so at bed time. When you doze off, it's easy to pick it up again later.

No BS, no commercials, what you want, when you want it. TiVo makes TV watchable.

Certain shows can actually have some value. I actually get a great kick out from some of the problem solving trains of thought on Mythbusters, as well as Carrie's butt.

Reply to
Ba r r y

Cable, or Satellite TV or any of the other premium programming providers.

Reply to
Leon

As someone else pointed out, if you can find the usenet and you like to build things, I am not sure how you never heard of Mythbusters.

Reply to
Locutus

don't we all! and watching Adam hurt himself is amusing too

Reply to
Richard Clements

"Television is a medium. Proof: It is not rare. It is not well done."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Rumor mill hath it that the thience on the thhow ith thomewhat 'hit or myth'.

Oh thit. my lithp is thowing.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yes, I agree. I watch almost no television other than the occasional sporting event. I was out with some folks last night that brought up half a dozen shows with which I was completely unfamiliar. Based on the content of the discussion, though, it didn't appear that I was depriving myself of much. YMMV.

When I was younger (than I am now at 35) I watched a lot of tube. Now I prefer to live, rather than live vicariously.

JP

***************************
Reply to
Jay Pique

I'm a certified geek and have been a denizen of Usenet for about thirty years, and I am a serious amateur woodworker - but I know nothing about this Mythbusters program.

I gather that it is a humorous attempt to dispel urban rumors. DO they actually use any hard science or do they just do backyard experiments that involve blowing things up? In other words, have they advanced beyond beign adolescents with a home chemistry set?

If this is what you think of as a fact, I have my answer about the show.

Reply to
Robert Haar

Pure entertainment!

Some of the best shows are when they aren't all that successful. I like the way they share what went wrong. Did you happen to see the fire in the shipping container that melted the camera, all INSIDE the shop?

I also like when they occasionally share the "You guys are morons!" email!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

They are somewhere in between. First they try to prove/disprove the myth as stated. If the myth proves false they then take progressively larger liberties trying to make the spirit of the myth occur. For example, in the last episode they tested whether a raft filled with helium could lift a person off the ground. Well it's not much fun to fill a raft with helium and have it do the obvious. So the next step is to figure out how huge a raft would have to be to actually do it and then build it. They are Hollywood effects guys so they are real good at finding practical solutions for physical tests. They are less good about things like getting enough data to have statistical relevance.

This quote from a recent online chat they had pretty much covers it:

"Unfortunately, in the interests of the time constraints put on us by American television, some things end up on the cutting room floor. And it has always ticked Jamie off a little bit that the show seems to favor me falling on my ass over him explaining some esoteric concept."

I think the best part is they show their mistakes, and for the most part they'll admit to them, and if necessary come back and revisit the myth in a later show to get it right. Still waiting for an admission of royally screwing up that arrow myth though.

It's a fact that neither of you have any excuse. You may want to check the expiration date on your geek certificate. The two of you aren't a statistically large enough sample to disprove me.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf