Gripper?

I don't think a riving knife is mandatory but I believe in 2009 Underwriters Laboratories required a table saw to be equipped with a riving knife to obtain certification under UL 987 Section 42.3.

Reply to
Nova

"Now" is not 18 months ago. ;~) And perhaps what I should have mentioned was that that TS being manufacutred "now" whould have the riving knife, as I have been told. Basically it is very easy to buy a new saw with a riving knife now with out having to go to a specific brand in particular. There may be exceptions to the rule. BTY the "latest" Unisaw that appeared last year, the one with 2 controll wheels on the front, has a riving knife. Jet has had one for about 2-3 years, Powermatic introduced it with the 2000 model.

No. Is there an option to buy a saw with out the guard? I highly suspect the government has been involved in some way. As a majority of users do not use the guard....

Reply to
Leon

Might be a good plan, to wait..... But this guy being a patent attourney... He may pull the same thing that DuPond did with Freon 12. their patent ran out and they lobbied to out law the old Freon 12 in favor for their new freon that would not harme the ozone.

The current SawStop may be too "flawed" compared to the new 2020 model. LOL

So safe is the new automotive freon that they want all freon to be evacuated, captured, and reused instead of exposing the mechanics to the gas...... Toungue in cheek.

Reply to
Leon

Seriously I too was skeptical for some time but now I would not want to be with out them. I truly think you will be happy with them. If you can get your hands on their DVD it has a world of suggested uses that make certain things possible.

I have not see all of the on-line videos on the site, perhaps they cover the gambit.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks - that's good to know. I *should* have known it, since I used to work for Woodcraft - must be my senility showing :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Not to mention that the markup on most stationary power tools is pretty low to start with.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Less than 10%, that's all??

To be compeditive I would certanly bite. I thought initiallly it was going to add 25% to the cost of the saw.

Profit percentage would remain the same, you don't eat the added cost, Mark it up the same percentage and the profit margin remains the same. We could only wish that equipment did not increase in cost 10% every few yers.

Reply to
Leon

That's just for the Right to use the patent. Then you add on the cost to manufacture the hardware and electronics. NTM, the cost of changing production methods, etc.

Probably more like 40%.

Assuming you can sell an added 40%+ to the customers.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yeah,,, IIRC the additional cost was going to average $275 per unit. So now you sell the saw for $750 more. But wait they are already doing that with out the SawStop technology, eh Delta?

No it was not that high.

SawStop seems to be doing great despite the big difference in cost. When compairing sales at the local Woodcraft the majority are paying the extra price for the extra piece of mind, safety, and better quality.

Reply to
Leon

If I were in the market for a saw and the price between the SawStop and the major brands was less than 50% or so, I'd go SawStop. The quality Appears better and there is that peace of mind ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Leon" wrote

I would be happy to pay 6% extra for the saw stop function.

I would not buy the saw stop company saw because of the features it is lacking.

I want at minnimum a 12" blade, and at least 5 HP motor.

Also, my school is wired with 208 voltage. If the saw motor is not wound for 208 instead of 230, you get a motor that does not put out rated power and overheats pretty fast, because it runs drawing many more amps that it is supposed to. Not good for those projects where students are waiting in a line to use the table saw. Constant use with the wrong voltage motor will cause the thermal protection to trip at the drop of a hat.

Reply to
Morgans

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

You are the second to say that the quality of sawstop is better. I am surprised at that.

What other saws are you comparing sawstop to, saying the quality is superior?

Reply to
Morgans

----------------------------------- NBD.

Todays motors are usually wired to handle 208V.

If not, a simple buck-boost transformer solves the problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Humm. I have to respectfully disagree. Ever put a meter on a saw in operation, to see how much it draws while under heavy load? I put one on a

230 volt motor running on 208 and was amazed. Amazed that a motor could draw that much over specs, for one.

More cost and something else for students to tear up. Much better to get the right motor to start with.

Reply to
Morgans

I'm just saying it Appears better, side to side with Delta and Jet.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

Interesting. How would you rank Jet vs. Delta, and Delta vs Powermatic?

Reply to
Morgans

Yep. I just used one today and had that issue. Saw wouldn't start until I cleaned it off - dust everywhere cuz it's on a jobsite with no DC. Blew it off, restarted it and it worked fine. There are two switches - one for the stop mech and one for the blade spin. Nice saw. Well built. Pricey though.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Never had my mitts on a Powermatic saw and the only reason I mention SawStop was I spent some time looking at the other three last week. On Appearance - which has a lot to do with how well they were put together by store staff - I'd say SawStop, Delta, then Jet.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

-------------------------------- Improper installation is not my problem.

BTW, if motor was overloaded, where was the overload relay to handle the problem?

It's a standard part of a motor starter.

----------------------------------- Do you serve that potted buck-boost transformer with or without WD40 on the side for the students?

---------------------- Check your motor supplier.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You know, just thinking about it I wonder how much price has to do with the Appearance of quality. The price sets some expectations and perhaps one sees that which is not visible ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser