Gripper?

I had a piece of cedar cause the blade to jump on top and come at me on a cross cut. Scary thing that. I had another piece from the same lot stop the saw dead; also a cross cut. The thing threw a couple of pieces when ripping, too. I trust the table saw a *lot* more. At least the table doesn't flex.
On 8/16/2010 6:32 PM, Morgans wrote:

If it's one of the big ones maybe. My 1.5 horse Craftsman just stalls and pops the overload in that situation.
wrote

Set up can be complicated if you want to use all the different configurations. But for 99% of my common cuts it takes me about 5-6 seconds to get the proper adjustement for material thickness and width. Before I actually used these things I felt the same way you do. Then I saw them demoed at a ww show, took them home, and set most all of my home made sticks and pushers, and hold downs aside.

That is correct in some instances. Will your guard set up properly, when ripping stock to 1/8" widths, or when cutting dado's?

It is certainly not a fool proof safety device. But it is the best of its kind if you are one of the majority of users that do not use the typical blade guard.
I a school setting I see your point, might also want to consider upgrading to a SawStop because as you have witnessed sooner or later the blade is going to get you given enough time. My injury was also after the cut and after the saw was turned off. SawStop would have prevented my injury.
On 8/15/2010 11:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Agreed. Universal truth, in "New Math" context:
Ignorance = It - what you don't know about It
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Ignorance = IT - what you KNOW about IT
...but I actually liked "new math". ;-)
On 8/15/2010 3:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Nope, that's "math". :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not sure, but my guess is after the saw is turned off, saw stop will no longer work?
--
Jack
Got Change: God Bless America ======> God Damn Amerika!

Nope, I confirmed this about 8 years ago. Turning the SawStop motor off does not turn off its ability to dectct flesh while the blade is still spinning. Until the blade stops spinning the brake works as it would when cutting wood.
IIRC there are 2 switches, the main that powers the safety device and also powers the switch to turn the saw on. Also IIRC the system has to power up so to speak before you can turn the saw on. If during the initial power up a fault is detected you can not turn the saw on.
8 years ago. The saw only hit the market 2 years ago. 8 years ago it was still being demoed to the other manufacturers.
On 8/15/2010 7:25 PM, Leon wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

From Sawatop web site at:
http://www.sawstop.com/company/story.php
"As a long-time woodworker, Steve committed himself to designing a cabinet saw with all the precision and features he had ever wanted in a table saw. By 2003, plans and designs were drafted. The first prototypes were completed and the first production models came off of the manufacturing line in late 2004. By the beginning of 2005 SawStop the company, had became a reality.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

And voila!, the product didn't sell worth a shit because they were TWICE the price of regular saws. He could have had his product in every saw in the world if he'd been reasonable. Instead of licensing it for a decent price, he wanted full boat for each device. (would you call him a greedy bastid?) You see, as I understand it, he was a speaking weasel (patent atty) first, a woodworker second. <deep sigh>
He apparently chose gold and infamy over worldwide saw safety.
And the horse he rode in on...
-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!
Larry Jaques wrote:

IIRC, he first tried to get the government to pass legislation requiring his device on all table saw sold in the US. When that failed he started producing his own table saws.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

IIRC he offered the license and when he was turned down went to the government. Now I am guessing that most the manufacturers wish that they had done otherwise. Anyway probably as a result most manufacturers began offering riving knives and marginally better guards. Now I believe all saws have to have the riving knives.
Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was introduced and mandated by the government to be use on all saws.... I wonder who the SOB was that came up with that absurd thing ;~)

Since when? My 18-month-old Unisaur doesn't have a riving knife. They're still selling them.

Got a cite for the "mandate"?

I don't think a riving knife is mandatory but I believe in 2009 Underwriters Laboratories required a table saw to be equipped with a riving knife to obtain certification under UL 987 Section 42.3.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That makes a lot more sense. UL compliance is completely voluntary, so it's in no way a "mandate". ...not that I wouldn't put it past Congress or their bureaucratic minions to do such a thing.

"Now" is not 18 months ago. ;~) And perhaps what I should have mentioned was that that TS being manufacutred "now" whould have the riving knife, as I have been told. Basically it is very easy to buy a new saw with a riving knife now with out having to go to a specific brand in particular. There may be exceptions to the rule. BTY the "latest" Unisaw that appeared last year, the one with 2 controll wheels on the front, has a riving knife. Jet has had one for about 2-3 years, Powermatic introduced it with the 2000 model.

No. Is there an option to buy a saw with out the guard? I highly suspect the government has been involved in some way. As a majority of users do not use the guard....

Yes, but they're still selling the older Unisaurs. I don't believe they've retrofitted a riving knife. I don't see one, anyway:
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 143

My bet is that it's their lawyers who have made this decision, not a government mandate.

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if you don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

Some way or another the manufacturers are being convinced.
Leon wrote:

Ever hear of OSHA????
<http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id 37>