Grinding a router bit

Page 1 of 2

In my continuing saga to try to use my rail and stile set to create a groove that 1/4" plywood these days will fit snugly into, I'm strongly considering getting the carbide ground from about .220" to about .195". If I'm not nuts to consider this, where might I send the bit to be modified?
todd
todd wrote:

If the groove is cut by a slot cutter that is a separatre part of the bit, can you buy another slot cutter that is narrower?
An alternative might be to iron on some veneer edge banding around the inside edge of the plywoodpanel to make it fit a bit tighter in the standard slot.
--

FF

It is separate. I've looked high and low for another slot cutter that would work. If anyone knows of a cutter that goes on an 8mm arbor, cuts a 3/16" slot, and has a 1.75" diameter, please let me know.

There's all kinds of ways to "make it work" after the fact. I've got a lot of doors to make, and I'd like to save myself a lot of retrofitting, if possible. Thanks for the suggestions.
todd

If it were me, and a cursory search for a new slot cutter failed, I would so one of these things:
Remove the slot cutter from the set and make two passes, one with the modified bit sans slot cutter, then a second pass with something like that new amana adjustable slot cutter.
Or, more likely, I would step up to 3/8" ply for the panels and rebate the edges to exactly 1/4". That would be real fast with a stacked dado set in a table saw.
brian

Believe me...it's been more than cursory. ;-)

I've read suggestions on the 3/8" ply. No one around here carries it, though it could possibly be special ordered.
todd

Half inch would probably work too.
brian
todd wrote:

solution that will fit your needs http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog/StileRail.pdf .
Martie

Thanks for the link, Martie. Unfortunately, Whiteside is operating under the same delusion as all the other router bit makers...that 1/4" plywood is 7/32".
todd

Todd,
If this groove is for panels to slide into on the rails and stiles of doors - as I think you're doing, leave the groove as is and use "Space Balls". Place two in each groove and they keep the panel centered and keep it from rattling. You can make your own spacers from silicon but using the space balls is a lot easier and they work as advertised. http://www.spaceballs.com /
Bob S.

I'm familiar with Spaceballs. I see how they would work to keep the panel from rattling "up and down" and "side to side". But since they don't take up any of the space in the direction perpendicular to the face of the panel, I wonder if they would still allow the panel to move "in and out".
todd

They are under compression when installed - the panel is not going to move. You're only talking of .025" difference, not the Grand Canyon. You'll loose some of that difference when you apply finish also.
Bob S.

I picked up some Spaceballs today since I had planned to use them anyway. Maybe I just need to see a door with everything installed and see how it performs.
todd

A great idea that I never would/wood of known about without this NG... Mac

If this 1/4" grove is cut by the rail and stile bit. DON'T DO IT. If you make the slot smaller you will have to make the mating side of the rail bit cut a narrower tennon to fit the stile grove. That is basically impossible as you will have to add carbide.
Just shim the back side of the panel if it fits too loosely in the slot.

I don't think it's impossible. The mating bit is also in two pieces currently separated by a bearing and about 0.025" of shims. My plan was to remove enough of the shims to get the proper fit.
todd

You may be right but opening up a bucket of worms IMHO.
todd wrote:

Just about any shop that sharpens bits, saw blades and the like. Check your yellow pages.
Don't try to make the fit too snug or you'll play hell trying to get the ply into the groove. Even with a sloppy fit is is sometimes difficult (depending on size of panel). Easing the ply edges helps a lot...I use a 4 in hand (shoemaker's) rasp.

Todd, It's only a few bucks to have a local saw sharpener grind the slot cutter a few thou smaller. As you said, the opposing bit is adjustable as well. OTOH, making a shim for the back of the slot is pretty easy as well.
Dave
good bits are supposed to be kept, and resharpened aren't they. This way too, you can fit everything the way you want.
-
I've been using the Freud adjustable tongue and grove set for this. It makes a nice snug fit by adding removing shims to both bits.
http://www.freud-tools.com/freud99adton.html
Carl