Grinders: Recommendations wanted & 2 questions

I'm going to buy a slow speed grinder. Any recomendations?
How's the new one from Garrett Wade that runs at 1120 RPM? The "Ultra-slow 1120 Rpm Vertical Grinder" http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemID 1879&itemType=PRODUCT
Is 1120 RPM a big advantage over 1700-1800 or is it a "who cares?"
Sure would be nice to have a variable speed grinder -- are there any?
Add pictures here
✖
Seems to me that Delta sells/sold a variable speed grinder setup.
John Emmons

Add pictures here
✖
I've heard good things about this one: http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidF05&gift úlse&mscssid102ECBC94524981A7EE689A4478982
For $95 it seems a great value. As for the difference between 1120 RPM and 1750 RPM - I doubt it matters all that much. I'm sure you know the reasoning - the slower speeds are less likely to build up excessive heat and detemper your tools. I've read several times that as long as you take your time and are careful, that even high speed grinders work fine, and are actually better in cases where you're reshaping tools due to the ability to remove material more quickly.
Mike

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

You might want to do a google archive search on the rec.crafts.woodturning group since most turners use grinders on a daily basis. On that note, the Woodcraft branded grinder has gotten very good reviews.
____

✖
On 6 Nov 2004 08:36:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Given that the one you list is $150 and still comes with a recommendation to upgrade the wheel, then I wouldn't go for that one.
I use a slower grinder with a bigger water-cooled wheel. You can find these with 10" wet wheels (and a small fast wheel too) from many sellers for a similar price.
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
✖