Grill source?

I'm going to be building an entertainment center next. For the doors that will be in front of the receiver/DVD player/etc. (cause wife doesn't want to see them) I want to put a decorative grill on them. That way the doors can remain closed and I can still use the remote control through them. Rockler has a limited selection and can't find much on the other suppliers. Does anyone know of a really good supplier for this? I'm not sure if we're going to use brass or a silver type, but wanted to show my wife some different styles.

TIA

Jack Wynn Atlanta

Reply to
JACK

You may not need a grill at all. There are small sensors that can be plugged into equipment to allow total hiding of your units. For my theater room I decided to have open shelving for all my components to maximize cooling (amps can generate a LOT of heat and fans can be noisy). Also think about how to neatly manage all the wiring yet allow for future changes.

Reply to
Phisherman

Instead of a grill, you could use an infrared "repeater" to relay the IR signal from your remote from the outside to the inside of your cabinet.

There's lots available, but here's a start:

MB

I buy punched aluminum panels at my local hardware store and Home Depot, for radiator covers. They usually have 8-10 styles. The stock at the hardware store is usually in better condition.

My HD keeps this stuff near the suspended ceiling materials.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"JACK" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If you make the screen material non-structural, you can use just about anything you'd want. Window screen (if that fits your style), fabric, paper, cardboard, etc. You could even get something like fencing or chicken wire.

Look around at your local hardware/home improvment stores and see if anything catches your eye. Don't worry about what it is, or what color it is if it can be painted.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing. I want to also allow the equipment to cool passively, so I chose to use speaker cloth in the frame instead of a raised panel. I'll just mount the cloth to a hardboard frame and affix it. The remotes will work through that.

I got my speaker cloth here:

NoviceOne

You are in luck, Jack. I don't readily share my sources, but what-the- heck, it's Christmas. There are dozens of metal products available from your yellow pages, but the cool stuff is harder to come by. Some of the Mellotone products can be stained and finished to your liking.

Phifertex products are much stronger but not as artsy. (I used black Phifertex screen for my road-worthy loudspeaker boxes. Even drunk roadies couldn't kick in the grilles.) Their products are also wonderful for outdoor projects.

of these sources are great for future references.

*I have no affiliation with either of these wonderful companies, other than as a satisfied and regular customer*

HTH,

Robatoy

I'm really wanting a metal type of mesh. Kinda like Chicken wire but a little more elegant maybe. Cooling wont be a problem I've designed that into the cabinet. Also, the type of receiver I have runs exceptionally cool. The wife and I have both agreed on a wire mesh type front inside the frame of the door in place of the raised panel.

TIA Jack

Reply to
JACK

All that has been done-to-death. What about taking some wicker-weave and spraying it with a silvery/coppery metal paint and then clear coating it? I'm sorry, but every time I see another door with chicken wire in it, I'm going to hurl. But hey! LOL, we all have different taste, and I've been told that I don't think like other people......*sigh*

Robatoy

Take a look at TWP Inc.:

fabric in stainless, copper, high transparency, decorative/cabinet...

Reply to
Nova

NICE! *tip of the hat* That's a keeper.

Robatoy

Thats what I was looking for, Thanks a million !!!!!

Jack Atlanta, GA

Reply to
JACK