Greeting from Southern Ilinios

The eighth of May was a windy day in the area (100 mph for a hour or so). The imposed a lack of electricity which lasted 7 days and 6 hours. I was home all alone, wandering back and forth in the house amazed (no fear other than do not let anything hit the house). We have lost about 12 trees most were going to removed at our leisure. One of the trees is a white pine it lay across the turn into the garage, it is about 30 inches across at the base and 26 inches 10 foot up. So we lost 2 trees we wanted to keep, a sawyer will be by to turn the white pine into boards to be dried and used.
It was very nice to take a hot shower last night.
Minor gutter damage is all the house suffered. So who wants free firewood (bring your own chainsaw)? It is Jackson county area.
Markem (sixoneeight) = 618
"Markem" wrote:
<snip a tale of Mother's activities>

Glad to see nobody got hurt.
Never forget Murphy's 4th law:
Mother Nature is a bitch.
Up with grits.
Lew
Markem wrote:

Didn't you used to live in Iowa? ;-)
Glad you survived. The house intact is pure gravy.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Glad everyone is OK.
What do you do for food and lights without electricity?
And I guess you bath/shower atleast once a week whether you need to or not. :)
On Sat, 16 May 2009 18:34:41 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
Camping gear and candles, fire in the fireplace. Going to bed at 9:30 when it starts to gets really dark. Made a nice red sauce with Italian sausage on the camp stove. Boiling the pasta however sucks. You make do as best ya can. No ESPN however sucks too.
Mark
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

A 2 burner propane fired camp stove, a pasta pot and a cast iron chicken fryer.
Canned meats and veggies.
Fresh onions and cabbage.
Lots of cheeses.
Battery and/or kero lighting.
Heavens, sounds like a well stocked galley.
Time to go sailing.
Lew
Markem wrote:

That's a lot of wind.

Suggestion: share some of the white pine you don't want with local carvers and sculptors.

Probably not just for you. :)

I'm really glad that white pine missed the house - or it might have come out differently.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Markem,
Have you had a chance to see some of the radar images from that day? It's amazing. The storm that hit is being called an inland hurricane.
If you're interested, take a look at this website, and scroll down until you see Radar Archive on the right side. Select May 8, 2009 and click "View Archived Radar Loop" and wait. http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=PAH
One of my friends called today and told me about the storm. The whole area is in rough shape, but they're ok as is their house.
Puckdropper
On 16 May 2009 23:46:07 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>Have you had a chance to see some of the radar images from that day?

Ah yes the meso cyclone, granted to leave plenty of large wood chips everywhere. Mother must be a woodworker eh?
It was very amazing looking out the windows too. It pretty destroyed 3 counties electrical system by bringing the jet stream down to about 400 feet above see level.
http://thesouthern.com/storm
Mark
On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:21:41 -0500, Markem

Glad you're OK.
10 years ago, I would have had no idea where Jackson County, IL, was located. Fast forward through some years of family history research and I now know that my maternal grandmother grew up there - born in Sand Ridge Township in 1887.
John

Welcome to Hurricane type weather. LOL We had similar weather back in September, we had those winds for about 12 hours, I was glad to have known it was coming and to have slept through most of it. We were with out electricity for 11 days and 8 hours. It does get pretty irritating after about 3 days, no? Aside from not being able to take a warm shower is having to use flash lights and candles after sunset. Especially irritating was hearing A/C units running at night and seeing porch lights across the street 5 days after the storm when all power lines in our neighborhood are underground.

Be sure to show the insurance adjuster all of those damaged trees.

Where do you live in Southern Illinois?
I originally from Harrisburg and graduated from SIU in Carbondale.
Cooniedawg
Markem wrote:

Just a hop, skip and a jump from campus, near Country Club road and Chautauqua road.
Run
Country Club Rd & Chautauqua Rd, Carbondale, Jackson, Illinois 62901
Through google maps
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

I also live in southern IL, we lost power friday afternoon a little after 1pm. Took a few cold showers, oil lamps and candles for light, cooked on the grill and used pots and pans on the turkey fryer burner. Power came back on Wed. night. Mike S.