Greene & Greene

Anyone out there with a source of Greene & Greene woodworking design plans? I've recently come across a couple of plans in magazines, and plan to build. I've done the google search, and nothing except their Gamble house they designed. I don't want a house plan, just furniture, etc. Help, please.

Reply to
Steven Bliss

The latest American Woodworker has a plan for a small table.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
Steven Bliss

This one has quite a few original drawings which you can look at.

Reply to
Rumpty

On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:10:50 GMT, "Steven Bliss" stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

stuff, wot?

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:17:15 -0400, "Rumpty" stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Most Excellent, sir!

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

We are very pleased and honored to offer over 70 classes here at American Sycamore and ten classes are dedicated to making Arts and Crafts furniture. At American Sycamore you can learn and replicate Stickley, Gimson, Morris, as well as Greene & Greene furniture, with some of today's Fine Master of furniture making. Take a look at Darrell Peart's web site for some beautiful inspiration:

and if you have any questions on our school view:

thanks, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

Risky search though. Like Stickley, there's an awful lot of "Greene and Greene" out there on the web that's anything but authentic in style. Be careful, and compare any plans you find to a decent coffee-table photo book of their original works.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:32:01 +0100, Andy Dingley stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

I got to looking at the Shultz book and am seeing more and more of why you assail him so. Some of those things are pure crap, like the spline groove showing on the leg-front of the somnae.

The old PM Mission Furniture book came out this morning and I decided, once again, to change my plan of styles on the dictionary/encyclopedia stand here in my office. I don't want the tall stand-and-read style after all and may make an octagonal tabouret after all. It's about the right size to keep my Webster's Hernia Edition and Enco/MSC/McMasters cats off the floor. Doug's Elegant Tables book came out, too, so...

Once the oak is cut, I'll have scraps for testing this nastyass ammonia. The 30% stuff AIN'T yo mama's 'monia. That's for sure. Long sleeves, nitrile gloves, respirator, face shield, and proper positioning of my body diagonally upwind of the box -outside- the shop are all planned for this project.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

positioning of my body diagonally upwind of the box -outside- the shop are all planned for this project.

Ain't you heard about Minwax.........?

Reply to
Rumpty

What is Larry?

Reply to
Rumpty

On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:32:50 -0400, "Rumpty" stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Yes, but I decided to do it properly INSTEAD. ;)

The book was Andy Schultz' "Classic Arts & Crafts Furniture You Can Build".

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You mean this ?

I use 26%. If I'm quick I just throw it in the box unshielded, but then I do have a nice ammonia fuming box with a proper lid. If I have to full around re-stacking things in it while the dish is open, then I use a full-face mask (mil surplus). I don't bother with gloves.

BTW - there is no point in wearing a half-face mask with ammonia. The stuff's main point of entry is your eyes anyway.

On the subject of fume control, can anyone think of workshop uses for a small lab fume cupboard ? It's maybe 2' x 2'6" wide. Friend of mine has a couple looking for homes - they're very cute, but I really can't think of a use offhand.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
nospambob

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:48:46 +0100, Andy Dingley stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

This stuff is from a surveyor's supply store and is actually 29.4% When I got the jug home, it was pooched out and didn't sit properly, so I took it outside and cracked the lid. The fumes on my fingertip let me know that I wanted to use gloves whenever I worked with it in the future.

Good point. (Now where'd I put my diving mask? Goggles are holey.)

Shipping'd be a real bear from Over There.

Happy Memorial Day, guys.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

seen. There is no craft in its making, and no teaching in the text. Please avoid this book

You had fun with this Andy!

FWIW One of the best sources for Greene and Greene is the Virtual Archives site I mentioned above

are detailed original drawings which can be resized and printed.

Reply to
Rumpty

Now you've got me thinking. My brother the agronomist works with anhydrous ammonia fertilizer. Got to ask him how hard it would be to get a propane cylinder filled with anhydrous, assuming the pressures are close and it would be safe. Seems like a much handier way to deal with the stuff than as a solution. Anybody had any experience with anhydrous? I do know that the trailer tanks have to be brought in and secured these days as the meth? makers use the stuff also. If they can steal it in the middle of the night, must be a handy way it could be dispensed to us.

rhg

Rumpty wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway