Great saw - Useless dust bag!

I'm more than pleased with my 12" Makita sliding compound miter saw but the assurance in the book that it will capture a good bit of the dust is definitely out-to-lunch. Judging by the amount of sawing I've done of late and the amount of dust in the bag I would say 95% or more of it went elsewhere :O)
Yes, I checked to see if the chute was plugged.. Fortunately I was working nears a window upstairs, which I opened so most of the dust went outside. The only answer in the workshop would be to connect my dust collector to a box mounted behind the saw.
Apart from the dust bag problem this is one heck of a saw, especially for cutting wide moldings!
KP
Stick a shop vacuum on it to improve dust collection to maybe 25%. Dust collection on all of these saws I've ever tried is poor.
Best bet: make a cone (with square corners, though) and fit that behind the SCMS, with a vacuum or DC hooked up. Similar to what you'd use with an RAS. That works well.
I have a Bosch 10" saw that Santa gave me and after doing over 40 miters for a cabinet I am making, the dust bag is nearly empty. I plan to build a table for it with extending arms once this cabinet project is over. I am also going to make a dust collector something like this:
http://www.bburke.com/wood/jigsandtools.html
(Scroll to the bottom of his webpage)

Dick, nice ideas, thanks! Regarding the dust hood for the sliding miter saw, did you consider a small one about 8 inches high and 8 inches wide that just fit at the back underneath the slide post? I was thinking of building one like that.... I'd attach it with c-clamps.
There is a product called Downdrafter:
http://www.downdrafter.com /
It incorporates your wishes. It is quite expensive but you could probably duplicate the ideas. The dust hood can be on a little stand with rollers ( you will see that on the website) or there is a second version that has allows you to move the dust hood back and forth on a slide attached to the table on which the miter saw is attached. This is also on the website.

Thanks, Dick. I've seen the Downdrafter. I'd pay $50 for it, not $300! Like you, I'll build my own.
I also have two pictures of a home brew dust hood that someone made. Kind of clever. I got them from APBW I think but I don't know the author. If you like, I can email them to you but I feel funny about posting them on APBW again since I don't know the originator.

I wish more people had your kind of consideration and respect for other people's intellectual property.

Amen... I haven't looked to see how many, but the recent BS there (ABPW) has made my killfile (blocked senders) grow immensely. Anyone asking for reposts or supporting the idiot(s) were added. I just hope none were otherwise decent contributors. Tom

Yep. Same problem as my Bosch. What I can glean from research tells me there just ain't any scms' out there that don't do that, but some are better than others. Can't remember which.
If you've got money to throw at it, every review says the Rousseau 4500 DownDrafter add-on works great: (Amazon.com product link shortened)09526766/sr1-50/ref=sr_1_50/103-1131772-6344623?v=glance&s=hi
But I'm going to try making a hood like Dick is. Someday. For now I'll hook up the shop vac to the outlet and sweep up dust every now and then. :-)
Dan