Great Delta cust. serv/mortiser question

Well, I managed to break my 14-651 mortiser. I broke the handle off when trying to bore a 3/8" mortise in a piece of white oak. The 'hub' that connects the handle to a steel shaft broke in three pieces. It seems to be a MIM (metal injection molding) piece (which I guess is good since it broke before something else bent). Called Delta this a.m. and they sent a new warranty replacement out right away. I hadn't shapened the chisels so I'm hoping thats the problem...but...this machine has so little 'feel' that I can't really tell if I'm bearing down too hard or what. I had adjusted the auger-to-chisel clearance down to what I considered a minimum because I was having to do so much cleaning up of the mortises; wondering if this was a mistake. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance. Richard M.

Reply to
Richard

Mark L.