graph paper

I have a wood chair project I have plans for. two of the pieces have curves and double back. about 3 ft long. the plans show the cutout lines on a graph about one inch squares. where to I get that paper or do I just get butcher paper and draw my own?
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:50:43 -0400, "Paul Fisher"

Try at a hobby shop. Or, you can print out graph paper with 1" squares then glue sheets together. I have used brown paper and drew my own lines (I have a drafting table and T-square that make this task quick and easy, but a table with a nice edge and square will work too).

If you dont mind taping 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of paper together, just google "graphpaper from your printer". there are all sorts of sites with free graphpaper.
Paul Fisher wrote:

Google "graph paper roll" and you should find a number of sources. Here's one http://www.eaieducation.com/531109.html . Note that I have not done business with that company and have no idea whether they are or are not reputable.
You can make graph paper by having an excel sheet - define cell size and print the cell boundaries - can have them heavy or such as well....
Martin
J. Clarke wrote:

Paul Fisher wrote:

Your local office supply store should have them. These are typically made by 3M and come in around 3'x3' sized pads (or perhaps a bit smaller), plain, lined, or graph style. They're intended to be used on easels in meetings for drawing, taking notes, and so on. This is probably very close to what you need...

Draw the 1" square graph lines on the wood you are going to use. Cut it out and use that piece of wood to trace other legs.

Draw the 1" square graph lines on the wood you are going to use. Cut it out and use that piece of wood to trace other legs.
"Leon" wrote:

Agreed with a minor exception.
Would layout on a piece of plywood which would become a pattern for use with a router /W/ a pattern bit.
Simplifies the finishing work.
Lew

That would probably save wear and tear on the master template leg if making several chairs.
"Leon" wrote:

Have a habit of playing the CYA game, so for purposes of record, usually make a pattern of irregular shaped pieces or special angles.
If I ever need to duplicate, makes life a lot easier.
Lew

I'd first try an office supply store or maybe a college bookstore. Just a guess, but you might try a copy/print store like kinkos. Some place that has a large plotter printer should be able to knock out any size you need.
nb

Or do it the easy way and go down to the local sewing store and buy some. It is sold by the yard.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:50:43 -0400, "Paul Fisher"

Second Leon's suggestion. Layout the grid on the stock and cut from there and use that as a template for the remaining parts. Precision probably isn't that big a consideration - similarity and repeatability is probably more important - but the more steps you add to a process, the more error is introduced.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I haven't used this site in a while, but you can create various sizes and types of graph paper:
http://www.incompetech.com/graphpaper /
Hope this helps.
You could tape graph paper pages together until you get the total size you need.

Pads of quarter inch graph paper are readily available at any office supply. Hidden in all those itty-bitty squares are one inch squares. Once you find the first one, just count fours squares from a corner and you will find another one...
or
first result from Google: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper /
or
Draw your own. Butcher paper is fine if you have it. Or glue plain copy paper to thin plywood if you want to make a template.

Solvent-based glue -- won't make the paper stretch.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:50:43 -0400, the infamous "Paul Fisher"

This is so old that I'm sure you have paper by now, but for next time, download the free graph paper program from the Web and print your own, any size!
http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/graph/paper.html what I use.
http://www.graphtablet.com/graphtablet.html more shapes. Hmm...
--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.