Granite countertops. Radioactive?

While we are on the subject of dangerious substances consider:

DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE: The vapor can cause sever burns, the condensate if breathed can cause death by drowning and the solid form can freeze body tissue leading to loss of that tissue.

BTW: DIHYDROGEN MONOOXIDE IS: H2O

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Sounds like a great way to get a good deal on a slightly used Steel City TS.. I LIKE IT!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, if you do, I'm guessing the first thing done about it will be the disposing of the granite countertop.

Reply to
Upscale

most radioactive buildings in all of Britain is the Marischal College at University of Aberdeen ( second or third largest granite building on the planet). As I recall G.P. Thompson (JJ Thompson's son) did some of the early quantum mechanical experiements on electrons there.

And back to the original topic: which is more carcinogenic -- the radon coming out of granite or the nasty chemical binders in solid surface or quartz chip like silestone?

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Which nasty chemical binders?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Kate" wrote in news:%2mik.7028$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

Well, I got a copy of a newspaper, the Onion, dated July 24, which announced "Queen Elizabeth II announces she's pregnant again"

Oh well, it's the Onion ...

Reply to
Han

Tom,

More Detail....

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Yes.

All granite is radioactive.

The activity varies, a lot. Most granites are somewhat hotter than most sedimentary stone, but the sedimentary stone at the Okla mine is probably hotter than any granite.

It depends of course.

It's the dose that makes a poison.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Well, if you do, I'm guessing the first thing done about it will be the disposing of the granite countertop.

LMAO... well... maybe lizard soup instead ;¬D

K.

Reply to
Kate

Ya'll are just too damn smart to be working on wood!

K.

Also one of the components is a highly toxic gas that causes convulsions at 1.6 bar pressure, leading to death if not promptly treated.

Reply to
Kate

Also severe lung injury if breathed for longer than about 20 mins continuously at lower pressures

-- >replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me >Pics at

>and

Jerome Meekings

Exposure to the pure gas at a pressure of one bar it will cause third degree burns within seconds. You definitely won;t last 20 minutes.

And "HHO" gas is actually a misspelling of 2H2 + O2, also called Brown's gas.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

University of Akron and Consumer Reports results, and they tested the same granites that were reported on the in NY article, the radon levels in Dr. Sugarman=92s kitchen were incorrectly measured or reported, due to a different source, or her kitchen was extraordinarily poorly vented.

But with at least 900 kinds of granite from 63 countries being available in the US, I expect U of A and CR didn't test them all just yet.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

At some level, I'm sure that anything we dig up has some radiation, 'cept granma maybe.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:49bf588d-fe2b-4be0-9806- snipped-for-privacy@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I expect that anyone who was alive during the 50's and early 60's is more radioactive than someone who died before 1945 or was born after 196whatever when the test ban treaty went into effect (Google it yourself).

BTW, the fact that the granite under New York is of a type containing rather more radioactivity shold not deter you from subsidizing the subway mode of rapid transit.

Reply to
Han

NYC Subway works rather well, even for an outsider. It seems like the only choice of getting in and out of Manhattan as parking fees are just insane.

Interesting observation about subway technology. In Montreal, they run on rubber tires, in Toronto, on regular railroad-style wheels. Toronto's are quieter. (From an NRC Canada research finding, something I discovered during my research there.)

I am a huge proponent of hub & spoke subterranean people movers. Attach a subway system to a nuclear power plant, and Bob's your uncle. (Unless you get those horribly out-dated union attitudes in there, then we're all screwed.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Not sure I understand exaactly what you mean with hub and spoke. Everywhere outside to just 1 center goes only so far. Both NY and Paris have what I would consider better systems than that, in that the "center" load is spread out.

Reply to
Han

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, I drove in to Manhattan for a while (~30 years ago), but the wear and tear on the system is just too much, even apart from the costs.

The Paris rubber lines do seem quieter than the other lines, but I think that track and equipment tolerances and upkeep are much more important to perceived sound levels.

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Hub & Spoke is where major lines cris-cross at several different places. Not in the Purolator model, where is just one hub... I should have said hubS and Spokes. IOW, to be able to change trains at many locations...or stay on to your destination. For instance, you can (in Toronto) get to Bloor & Yonge from Union Station in more ways than one.

Reply to
Robatoy