Granite and what you don't know.

I rebuilt a kitchen for a customer, he had a counter top company install granite counter tops. Unfortunately the installer broke the piece that goes around the sink. Unfortunately they did not have a piece that was the same shade. Fortunately they were able to oil that portion of the counter top and now you cannot tell the difference in the two pieces, even 3 years later.

Sink cut-outs are the worst in granite... so are cooktops. I have seen a perfect installation with 4 very professional guys go 'snap' when they removed the bracing AFTER the countertop was in place. My supplier now flips the top and CNC's 90-degree grooves and epoxys 1/2" fiberglass cord in around the corners. He says it helps... but if a 400 pound piece of stone decides to snap...it will.
Not long ago, a $ 7000.00 (that's SEVEN THOUSAND) top was ruinied by a ball of plumber's putty. Left an oil stain... and that has happened more than once in my career. Those moments make your heart sink into your boots. Luckily, the problem was at the end of a long stretch of a very popular colour. The fabricator was able to re-use a big chunk.

Malcom handled the bulk of the answer. It is the fissures that show up as red lines, in the case of a merlot. Large fields of granite will not stain, it's the fissy bit in between that get you. Plumber's putty on a black top......bad. Red wine on a white-ish top...also bad. That creates lines of badness.
When you pour on sealant, just take a glancing look as to where it soaks in first... There are way more fissures than one would expect. The lower the grade, the worse it gets.

So at what point does granite stain as badly as concrete? All? Only the cheap stuff?
A well done concrete countertop is prettier than most of the granite installs I've seen. Moreover, concrete readily presents more options for shape and finish -- granite that's not cut along straight lines gets spendy. Granite CT's have just never made sense to me -- it looks like a market entirely driven by "keeping up with the Joneses". Long ago granite was a status symbol -- but that went away when the Borg started selling it. As pointed out in the first post on this thread, you can't generally tell whether it's cheap Borg granite or really good stuff from a high end vendor by site. We are a family of 6 and we still actually cook and eat at home, so that leads me toward solutions that value function as well as form.
hex -30-
granite and the thing's you take for granite