Granite and what you don't know.

Exactly. I was actually in a friend's house when his wife sat a hot pan (one of her nice heavyweight stainless jobs), right off the stove onto the cold granite. We heard these popping noises a little like crackle, and didn't see any damage.

But when she cleaned up that night a couple of small pieces of quartz came out on the sponge. She was in tears.

I have heard, but not seen personally that a hot pan would also discolor granite. I would guess it would have to be a really hot pan on a really cold surface though. Just a guess.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

granite and the thing's you take for granite

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

No thoughts. None. I'm all out of thoughts. Seriously. I do not know of what thou speaketh. Needless to say, I'm very interested to learn more. Any further info....please.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest...and watching TV simply hasn't been an option these days. Moving into the bigger premises has been a much bigger task than I anticipated. I had deadlines to meet during the move as well. But...I'm a lot happier now as the efficiency has doubled.

I'll post a pic of the partially completed fabrication section on ABPW maybe later this evening.

Robatoy

Doubled! Wow... I just don't think I have the energy anymore. But that is impressive - I am happy with 25% these days!

Hope so. I sure seems that over the last several months you have put a ton back into feeding the business. I would like to see where you have taken it.

I'll look into that counter topper. I personally don't know anything at all about it except what I got back from someone that went to one of our larger homeshows when it was here. I >think< it is a franchise deal.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No kiddin'. We are having chamber of commerce weather here, and I am moving as fast as I can (the actual speed may not be too impressive...) to get as much done as possible. But right now, I am looking for the bead after this post. Going to a BBQ contest and chili cookoff tomorrow! Yeehaw!

I found this, and I am pretty sure this is it. They apparently cast it like the old days of cast marble (resin and marble dust) to make them as they are overlays. I wasn't able to find out that the product was cast until I read the "limited material warranty" and it described the mother of pearl additives, etc. This sure sounds like it is what the guy described to me as they fit over the counters, cast to fit.

then, I found this deal, which is actually fiberglass reinforced granite, cut thin and layed in with glass. This stuff looks cool, and it seems like it would cut the possiblity of damage down quite a bit since it is lighter, and well reinforced. Depending on edge treatments, I don't know how easy it would be to tell this from a regular granite installation. It looks like it could be a helluva money and time saver.

interesting stuff.

Like to hear what you think about these. Note that they are both "franchisable". I wouldn't bite on a franchise, but I would like to know about the products.

Back here in a couple of days. Gonna go be a good German and drink me some beer, eat some grilled, homemade sausages, try out the chilli and other BBQed meats, and support the local high school volunteers that sponsor this event for this tiny little town.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41