Grandfather's Clifton #4

Found my grandfather's #4 Clifton in the shed at Mom and Dad's house.

How much data do I need to get an accurate ballpark manufacture date?

The iron most likely needs to be replaced, but I'm gonna do my best to get it into fine fettle first.

Will the commonly available Hock irons fit this puppy?

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

What colour is it ? Green ? Does it have the two-piece cap iron. As far as I know, Clifton only started making the bench planes in the late '90s. Shoulder planes long before that, but the current bench plane range is certainly quite new and I don't think they used to make them in the past.

Why ? What's wrong with it ?

Does the iron have a large "Victor" stamp in it ? If so, keep it - it's better than a Hock.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's a Bailey #4, not a Clifton . . be rather hard for him to have an "old Clifton" in his shed, as he passed away before they started.

Around the knob "No 4 Bailey" is cast.

Just forward of the tote are the "PAT'D" dates: MAR-25-02 AUG-18-02

Punctuated as shown.

The sole is 9" long by 2-3/8.

Right now, it's the color of a light patina of rust, but all the moving parts do and there doesn't seem to be much backlash in the adjuster.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Check out this link. Should tell you what you want to know:

Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch