Grandfather Clock

Does anyone know where I can get free plans for a Grandfather clock. I want to build one for my father in-law for Xmas. I want to start soon. I would like any advice or comments before I start. Thanks.
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:09:23 -0400, "Major Canuk"

Bc snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net
Major Canuk wrote:

Considering the cost of the movement, glass, hardware and lumber needed to build a grandfather's clock the cost of the plans are a "drop in the bucket". If I were to build one I'd pick out the style I liked most and not worry about the few dollars spent on the plans.

Couldn't agree more! The cost of plan is minimal and the "pay plans" give you a whole lot more to choose from.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------

ya, ive done this sort of thing before and always ended up dissapointed. spend weeks building not quite what you want to save 5 or 10 bucks on a plan.
randy

In the mid 1960's fresh out of grad school and gainfully employed, I tackled my first woodworking project . . . . a weight driven clock with wooden gears. I set up a small work table with a vice in the corner of my apartment; purchased a supply of inch kiln dried birch and ordered a set of full-sized plans from Constantines ($5.00 plus shipping).
I hated to booger up a good set of plans, so I took them to the office and copied them on the office Xerox machine. I glued the copies to the birch stock with rubber cement and, over the next 3 months, carefully cut out and shaped the parts of the movement with surgical saws and fine-toothed files. When the project was finished, there was a quarter inch layer of birch dust over everything in the apartment, but the parts looked great.
However . . . .
When I put the thing together, everything was about half a bubble off. On rotation, the wheels and gears either bound up or were too loose. For another month I tried adjusting the wheels by filing the parts that bound up . . . . which seemed to change with every re-assembly. Eventually it occurred to me to compare the parts that I had made so carefully with the original plans.
Turns out, that our office Xerox machine had a fairly significant amount of distortion that wasn't noticeable on a page of text but managed to turn circles into ovals. To save five bucks, I had created a series of non-workable, interlocking cams.
Bubba wrote:

When building models of the projects here (we're an architectural firm) many times it's necessary for the model shop to plot out large scale parts or layout diagrams for the base. One commonly found problem is moisture or lack of moisture in the paper which makes it stretch or shrink. Over a 4' - 8' span the plot can be off as much as an inch due to shrinkage. Always something to keep in mind when printing or copying plans.
I'm doing the same exact thing right now with a wooden clock with wooden gears except I'm cheating - using the LaserCAMM at work to cut the parts out! talk about accurate. I have to worry about the thickness of the laser, .002, and that's about it. :)
Mike Rinken

Bubba <--------------- DROOLING with envy.
How about an update and report on the results when the project is finished?
Bubba wrote:
<snip>

I believe copy machines are required to slightly distort the image. It prevents someone from copying paper money and then running the copy through a change machine.
http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archives/sept_oct_00/html/major_project.htm
This will give plans and a fairly decent narrative on the process of building the clock. Note that it is designed to show how to build it using a Shopsmith so some of the discussion and sequencing may seem a little odd to non-Shopsmithersa ;)
Dave Hall

How about a smaller one with wooden gears http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk /
Major Canuk wrote:

Grandpa wrote:

They'res CADD files on there as well so printing the gears is easy. I'm building one of these right now and if it goes well I'll be building 4 for Xmas presents.
Mike Rinken
Major Canuk wrote:

http://www.colonialtimes.com / They've got a nice selection of plans, kits, hardware, etc. Have fun browsing! Mark

I built a clock last year and found that it was well worth the small fee for plans. I got mine from http://www.murrayclock.com / They now have an option where you can buy plans in PDF at their web site. This is helpful if you want to make extra copies while you are working on the mant parts. Cost of clock was almost $1000 and plan was about $15, well worth it. Bruce