Grain tearing when planing

I have a problem with the grain tearing on some pine boards I am planing.

I have posted pictures of the problem (same thread subject line) in

All assistance appreciated.

Reply to
John Patmore

Are you working against grain? Is the wood a bit green?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

From other comments received, it appears that "grain reversal" may be the problem. I'll have to try swapping the plane direction. The boards are dry AFAIK (prepacked from local BORG).

Reply to
John Patmore

This question triggered a memory of something I haven't thought of for a long time: I took a community college woodworking course about 20 years ago and they had a very large thickness planer that had helical blades. I've never seen one before or since. I wonder if they cut with less tearing.

Reply to
BUB 209

To stop "grain tearing", order the Brian Burns Double Bevel Sharpening System booklet. He details how to sharpen a planer and jointer (along with ckisels and planes) for incredibly smooth cuts with little to no tear-out on curly maple. I have the book. very good.

-Rick Buchanan

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

Grizzly sells spiral jointers and planers, but they're made with a zillion square carbide cutters, not an actual single spiral blade, so they still don't shear cut.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

=>This question triggered a memory of =>something I haven't thought of for a long =>time: I took a community college =>woodworking course about 20 years ago =>and they had a very large thickness =>planer that had helical blades. I've never =>seen one before or since. I wonder if they =>cut with less tearing.

Veatch Wichita, KS

Reply to
Tom Veatch