Grain orientation query

Folks -

I have someone that wants a doll cradle built for a friend. They've chosen red oak, and I am building it out of 1x12 boards. I've had the wood for a while, and it hasn't cupped, so I'd rather not rip and rejoin it if I can avoid it...

My question is one of asthetics; the grain on the face of the board starts at nearly quartersawn, progresses to rift and then transitions to cathedral grain. Visually, what would be more pleasing, the tighter grain at the base (bottom) of the cradle and the cathedral at the top, or vice versa?

I am leaning toward the qs/rift at the base and cathedral at the top... I will want this to follow on all 4 sides obviously.... Comments?

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

That's how I'd do it.