Grain direction for box

Question about how to orient the grain direction for a box/case I am buildi ng. Plan to put two boxes under the workbench and put drawers in the boxes . The two boxes will be about 1.0 feet tall and 2 feet wide and 1.5 feet d eep, each. Two boxes will be side by side, between the legs and above the stretcher. Solid red oak 3/4" for all parts. Will use biscuits to glue ev erything together. See picture below to see how boards will be assembled. Top and bottom, the red oak grain will go left-right. Two sides, the grai n will go up-down. All four sides will have the grain running end to end i n a circle and all expansion will be to the front and back for the sides an d top/bottom.

How to orient the BACK panel? Do I put the boards so the grain runs up and down? Or do I put the boards so the grain runs left-right? If the grain is up-down, then the back expansion will push the sides out. If the grain is left-right, then the expansion will push the top and bottom apart. The way I am doing the biscuits, with the top and bottom ends being exposed and the ends of the sides covered, I think the boards with grain up and down w ill be better. The biscuits will keep the sides from being pushed out and the legs of the bench will keep the boxes compressed and not allowed to exp and out. ??????

--------- | | | |

---------

Reply to
russellseaton1

I don't think I've ever seen a box or crate where the grain did not go left to right. You may be over thinking this.

Alternate method: Make the back from MDF or plywood and have no grain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Typically with the opening on the front the grain runs left to right on the top and bottom and up/down on the sides .

Basically the end grain does not face the viewable side/open side.

Solid wood back, grain is parallel to the longest measurement. Plywood back, grain does not matter mechanically.

Reply to
Leon

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 10:43:45 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com w rote:

[...]

How about a plywood back with a red oak veneer?

The grain orientation won't matter and you can do whatever pleases you aesthetically.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The short answer with solid wood is that you should not constrain the back... either the back needs to be a floating panel in a frame; or the back should be individuals boards either ship lapped, or loose tongue and groove, that are either nailed or screwed (with slotted holes) to the surrounding rebated frame. Generally the grain of the back runs with the long dimension of the case.... but not always! Alternatively, use sheet goods for the back.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks everyone. Plywood for the back is probably the wise choice. I was fixated on using solid red oak for everything, forgot about oak plywood. Orienting the solid wood back in the longest direction is also good for other projects.

Reply to
russellseaton1