Got the Freud SD508-should I have gone Forrest?

After reading the latest Dado review in WWJ (next to the After Market fence review by Charles Self), I couldn't justify using my (almost) 10 year old Sears "excalibur" adjustable dado on a $65 sheet of oak ply any longer so I went shopping and found the SD508 at Amazon for $160 w/free shipping.

Not bad, but maybe I should have gone for the Forrest SD for $100 more. Both had a perfect score on the tests, so I figure I could save $100 with the Freud.

Whenever I try to save money on WW tools, I always regret it later.

All I want is a flat bottom and no tearout on plywood or melamine.

Hope I get it.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou wrote:>After reading the latest Dado review in WWJ (next to the

Me, too. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I have the SD608 (adjustable) and love it. Same blades. I have crosscut oak plywood with no chipout as well as melamine w/no tearout. Great dado. You did the right thing and won't regret it. Happy dadoing! SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I was pondering the Freud adjustable but it was too new for me to take a chance - sort of conservative this way. Have that adjustable Craftsman you know.

Mind set on a stacker so I went for the the "tried & true" so to speak.

Thanks SH!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Actually, the freud 608 adjustable isn't new. Infact, mine is about 3 years old. The quit making them for a spell and just started again. SH

Reply to
Slowhand