Got my Pin Nailer from Amazon - Finally

I ordered my Bostitch HP118K from Amazon on April 26 ----Received it on July

  1. Not a bad price at 7, but the 3 month wait was worse than Amazon's usual free shipping deals.

Used it the first time today and boy do I like it. In the past I had to clamp small pieces of trim until the glue dried. This is much faster and you can hardly see the nail holes.

One of those tools you wish you had purchased a long time ago.

Reply to
Tom H

Was it the same tool you ordered?

The bastids cancelled my order for the Bostitch TU-216-2330 (which got great reviews, including some privately from a couple of the well known cabinet makers here), which was placed about 3 months ago.

Apparently it is no longer made. Do you know the difference?

Reply to
Swingman

I'm not sure there is a difference. I downloaded the manual for the TU-216-2330 and it appears to be the same gun as the HP118K.

Reply to
Tom H

Sometimes I feel like the blessed, chosen one. From reading posts and listening to friends I know Amazon has frequent delivery problems. I have seldom had a shipment take an entire week. They always seem to beat their estimate by a couple of days;

Now just wait until I send my next order.....

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Sorry to say I'm suspicious of all corporate actions these days. Considering the reputation of the TU-216-2330, it doesn't make sense to change the model number the unless this "new" version was "value engineered" in some manner.

I just don't trust 'em.

I recently bought an Omer for the shop, but would like to have a less expensive one to carry in the truck, thus my interest/attempted purchase of the Bostitch.

Keep us posted on your experience ... the 23ga pinners are great tools.

Thanks

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Tom H

I used to be very impressed with Amazon prior to about a year or so ago. When you order, are you using their free shipping deal?

What I've come to suspect (very, very strongly) is that when I request free shipping, the item does NOT ship within the general "ships within X days" indicated on the item's description page. I believe they bump up every order that has a paid shipping request in front of the free ships.

My last order (May 5th) was a Hitachi drill that was to ship within 24 hours - watched my online order info for two weeks with it telling me it would ship soon while the drill's description page still indicated a number of these in stock and would ship within 24 hours. I rec'd an email indicating a delay on May 12th. On May 18th I sent an email expressing my frustration with Amazon of late (citing a problem that lasted 2 months from August '05). Lo and behold, on May 19th I got an apology email from customer service telling me they were going to upgrade my order to 2-day shipping at no cost. That afternoon I got the auto-email that my order shipped.

Hmmm. If I didn't know any better I'd think they were delaying the free shipping orders for those who pay for shipping... it's no wonder Amazon is losing it's internet darling luster.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Seems to me that it says somewhere on their site that free shipping is going to take longer. Stands to reason it would. I'm sure that it gets in on a group rate when many items are heading in your direction. Kind of like flying standby.

Reply to
CW

As per the Amazon Super-Saver Shipping details: "4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship."

3-5 days I can deal with - 3 weeks I can't.
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

HELLO!. . . . . This order took 3 months

Reply to
Tom H

I was working with my new HP118K pin nailer this AM and noticed the nameplate on the gun says model TU-216-2330. Could it be that the HP118K is the number for the Kit which includes the gun, case, oil and starter pack of pin nails?

Reply to
Tom H

Ah ha!

Thanks for that bit of information ... time for trip to Amazon. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I think some orders get delayed because they do one big bulk order with the manufacturer. I was dumb enough to order some Freud router bits twice.. Both times, I had to wait 6-8 weeks. So, I can only assume that they pool their orders and then order from Freud every other month or so.

No one that I know pays for shipping with Amazon, so I don't know if paying for shipping gets it to you significantly faster.

Reply to
bf

Ya think? I ordered the Hitachi M12VC router kit a few weeks back when they had it for $119. I originally chose Super Saver option, then saw that the ship date wasn't until August or September - far too long for me, in any case. I wasn't gonna play that, so I went back to the site and changed the shipping to 3-day, and whammo - suddenly, the ship date moved up to the following week (this was on a Saturday).

Then I changed my mind and changed it back to Super Saver. The ship date stayed the same, though, and I got the kit the following week. Dumb luck, I guess.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

I've ordered items that say "Usually ships within 24 hours" and then had them come back with a delivery estimate of a month or two later. So I go back to the item and it STILL says "Usually ships within 24 hours". I've complained, saying I need it for a job, and had some success. Other times they have just let me cancel the order. And other times I've just had to wait it out - sometimes over a month. I recently had a VERY bad experience with amazon over a return and I now pretty much shop elsewhere.

JP

************************************************ Support your (good) local independents!!
Reply to
Jay Pique