Got My Clamps!

I just received a UPS delivery from Rockler with 8 brand new 10" wooden hand-screw clamps.
My thanks to the original poster for the heads-up on the Rockler sale. You cant beat the price - about $4.00 a piece and free delivery.
Now I gotta go find something to clamp :-)
Joe
10x wrote:

shipping. They look good, they clamp good. Two of them are holding down a saw table jig at this very moment. And thanks to who ever it was that passed along the tip about this deal.
David Starr
Hmmmm. 10x paid $4.00 each and you paid $4.50 each. What's up with that?

Going thru the literature packed with my clamps I find an offer for Woodsmith magazine 2 years for $28. How good is Woodsmith? I'm looking for a source of projects and plans, inspiration to make beautiful things, plus tips and technique to go along all the ads. I understand the need for ads, in fact I even read them now and again. But for $28 I would hope for some solid editorial content as well.
David Starr

Here's a link to a sample issue, 52 pages worth. http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/sample/
Dave:

The AugustHome Magazines are a great bunch, tho these days I'm not liking Woodbench as much as I use to. But Woodsmith and ShopNotes are keepers! I've got years of back issues.
Woodsmith is geared towards furniture and other items. ShopNotes is directed more to the jigs and tools. They complement one another quite well.
Get them both!
MJ Wallace

No ads in Woodsmith. Good beginning to intermediate content. Strong preference and tendency to Craftsman style with a few "modern" style projects. It has good tips and techniques, especially for those starting out. Depending upon your experience level, it is most likely money well spent.
David Starr wrote:

I get that magazine, that's a pretty decent rate.. I get several mags, so I get them confused in my head. I think that one gives you 6 issues a year.. so it's only costing you about 2.50/issue... really at that price, I think if there's only one project/article a year that gives me good inspiration, it's worth it. I know I've built a couple things out of that magazine. I guess I consider myself to be an intermediate level woodworker.. If you are advanced, probably all magazines are beyond your level. Magazine projects typically focus more on making sure the guy with an average garage shop can get the project done.. ie only has a table saw/ jig saw /belt sander/hand drill.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:14:25 -0500, David Starr

Not bad- and while you may understand the need for ads, you won't really need that understanding with the magazine in question. Closest Woodsmith gets to ads is the list of hardware suppliers on the last page for the projects they run.
Basically what you get in any given issue is 2-3 projects with plans and cutlists, a few articles about tools and techniques that are niether particularly better nor worse than any other given woodworking magazine, and a good-sized section in the front with reader's suggestions for jigs, etc. It comes every two months or so, and the plans are a little better than average if you're looking for a step-by-step walkthrough of a project. The joinery is often a little different than what is usually used by most folks, but it works well.
I built three or four projects out of Woodsmith magazines, and they all turned out well. The only problem I had with it was that by the end of my 2 year subscription, it seemed like they were repeating themselves- but $28 for the twelve issues I got was a good deal. I also purchased 8 hardcover books with the same name for about $20 each as a sort of "book of the month" thing, and that seemed like a better deal- they're plans only, and good reference when I'm trying to figure out something a little different.

Do you still have the link you used to get these clamps? Thanks.

Probably way too late as the e-mail I got was for 1 day only a couple of weeks ago.
Leon wrote:

Still listed at $4.49 each! but I doubt that free shipping still applies, but who knows? I got 4 of them. They are JET brand, made in China, a little bit rough on the finish, but not bad, and definitely worth the price.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 311&filter8728
Harvey
Sorry to be responding late on this, but I recently discovered that Northern Equipment has some pretty well made hand-screw clamps in stock and their every day prices are $4 each for the smaller sizes and $6 each for the larger sizes up to about 14". If you have a Northern Equipment store nearby you can pick up all you need.
--
Charley

"10x" < snipped-for-privacy@confused.com> wrote in message
If you sign up to their emailing list you will get up to date sales flier.