Gorilla glue

Great Glue, Nasty to clean. I did the same thing. I thought I was capable of keeping my hands clean of glue, but alas I was unable. I got it on my hands. Norm is right, if you get it on you, you get to wear it off.

Reply to
Brad

It cleans up easily with paint thinner (mineral spirits) as long as it's still wet. Once it dries, it's there for a few days until it wears away (or the skin cells it's adhered to slough off naturally).

I use expired credit cards as glue spreaders, instead of using brushes. After the glue has dried, it can be easily removed from the spreader with a sharp chisel.

Doug Miller

I use a pocket knife and my finger nails. It takes about 2-3 days of working at it to scrape "most" of the glue off. Nothing else seems to work

Reply to
hawkny2003

I know the proverbial "cow's out of the barn" already - but "next time" use throw away flux brushes - and give your hands a good coating of a lanolin hand creme first. My maiden voyage with gorilla glue lasted 3 days.

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Do you own a belt sander? My inaugural voyage on the S.S.Gorilla Glue met with similar results. I mean, if we wore gloves every time something said to, we'd never get them off.

todd

Reply to
todd

From the Gorilla Glue Web site: "How do I get it off my hands?" "Within a couple of minutes of getting the glue on your hands, wash it off with soap, water and a scrub pad, or use a pumice hand cleaner. Once it's dried on your hands, though, you will most likely have to wait for it to wear off in a few days. We recommend the use of latex or rubber gloves while doing your glue-up or using a disposable acid brush to prevent it from staining your hands. There is no known solvent for Gorilla Glue once it's cured."

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Followed in the footsteps of every good woodworker, huh? Yup, I learned the same lesson, it wears off in a couple days unless you really screwed up. It doesn't *ever* come off your favorite work shirt though... :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Just how many of those do you accumulate in a year? :) Maybe I need to get more Credit Cards before I can get more expired ones...

Reply to
tnfkajs

About four per year on average, I guess, between me and SWMBO. Have a lot of old ones laying around, too, that I just never got around to throwing away. Health insurance cards make good glue spreaders too. Not to mention the constant stream of "charter membership" cards in the Handyman Club of America. I must have three or four HCoA glue spreaders by now...

Doug Miller

Handyman Club drill indexes work well too.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Just time it takes a couple of days to come off. I wear rubber gloves. I use a thin piece of wood to spread it. You can clean the brushes with acetone while the glue is wet but once cured nothing will desolated it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Interesting ! This thread started in 1994 ??

The glue must be good the postings are sticking around for a long time...

D.Martin

Reply to
D.Martin

I think that whether you scrape it or not it generally comes off after the same amount of time. Scaping just occupies your time while you are waiting.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Looks like there could be some money in a gorilla glue "hand" plane Steve! LOL!

Jummy

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

HI, before it sets gorilla glue does come of with acetone, at least it works for me. I find that 80 grit sandpaper on my bench mounts belt sands does fine to, just need to stop as the blood starts.

Thanks Roger haar

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

Reply to
Roger Haar

Reply to
George Berlinger

I've got a bottle of Gorrila glue that is getting old and very thick. Anybody know of a way to make it run again? Maybe a microwave oven or something?

Reply to
Gene

reacting with the humidity in the air, and is slowly gluing to itself. It will continue to get thicker and thicker until it sets up completely.

That's why I buy the small bottle.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Time to buy a new bottle in a size that you will use up in 6 months.

Reply to
Leon