Google newsreader gripe

I build software for a living but I just can't seem to understand how to do any better than the Google reader for accesing this rec.woodworking but the reader really sucks.
1. Every two weeks it forgets who I am and what group (singular, I only do rec.woodworking) I watch. 2. Then, even after I log back in it doesn't know my settings

To prove my point it submitted my post before I was done writing it (don't hit Tab)
3. Then about 1/2 fo the time once I do login, it says no such group as rec.woodworking
Pretty much a disaster.
Are there any free or low cost solutions that will give me a better experience here?
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
> Are there any free or low cost solutions that will give me a better > experience here? >
SFWIW, I use Earthlink and Mozilla.
Reader is part of the package.
Works for me.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I've found MicroPlanet Gravity to be adequate.
S.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On what platform?
Linux / Windows
P.A.N. (do NOT ask what the initials mean) http://pan.rebelbase.com/download / since you are a programmer, you could even grab the source code & recompile
Thunderbird (am using it at the moment) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird /
AFAICT, PAN is actually the better of the two for newsgroups, but didn't, last time I checked, deal with emails. Thunderbird handles both but isn't the top of the pile for either. Close ... but no kewpie doll.
Kind of like us MS-Office instead of best-of-breed software. ;-)
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:44:25 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

http://www.slrn.org
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Use a real newsreader. Thunderbird, Agent, Forte, even Outlook will all be more convenient.
Google is nice for searching the archives, not so much for a live feed.
Chris
HHmmmm Outlook. That sounds interesting. I enjoyed it when I used it before but my current corporate job has me using Lotus Notes (or Lotus drives me Nuts if you prefer).
I'll try setting up Outlook at home.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
> I'll try setting up Outlook at home.
Think Mozilla.
Less spam.
Lew

You build software for a living, but don't know about better newsgroup readers? You also don't seem to know about cookies.
Actually stopped coding years ago. Now I just code when I can't find a better way to communicate my design idea to the programming team.
Yes, I know about cookies. Heck, in the early 90's before cookies existed I was part of a team that developed the first email bug tracking system (if you know what that is). It is just that Google news reader washes out the cookies every two weeks and I really don't feel like manually capturing them and then manually reinitializing them later once the reader has killed them.

I use google groups a lot at work - some of it is even FOR work. :-)
Occasionally I have to re-log in. I assume that is intentional. It's something I'd build into an app - every so often I have to convince them that I still know what my password is.
But that's it. Once I'm logged back in, all my configurations are right where I left 'em. I think that's part cookie and part database at the server. If I'm understanding Mr Sonoma, he's having problems that I never have, after a couple years of using Google. I use a different reader at home and Google has its own set of problems for me, but not the problems described above. I'm puzzled.

My vote is for XNews. Hey you get to put funny pictures in as a sort of sig!
--
Best regards
Han