Google Groups Search

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:30:00 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I'm not too sure about your "dejanews archive" statement. I just looked at Google Groups for the first time tonight. There are currently 216,000+ messages archived in this group at Google. At the same time there are also 216,000+ messages on NewsGuy. Actually there are a few hundred more on newsguy than Google but who's counting.
With that information I wouldn't be surprised to know that Google is maintaining a Newsguy archive.
Gordon Shumway
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Read the wikipedia entry on "dejanews". If you are doubting the existence of dejanews, google it. If you are doubting that Google took over the archive, go to http://www.dejanews.com and see what you get. If you doubt that the archive goes back to the 1980s then go to http://www.dejanews.com , click "advanced search", set the Message Dates to 1 Jan 1981 to 1 Jan 1982, and for "Group" put "*" (without the quotes), and see what you get.

You can see a whole lot of rec.woodworking posts archived by Google back to 1994 or so on my humour page.
http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Luigi
says...

Google is not a substitute for the dejanews archive, which Google lost.
phorbin wrote:

When did this loss occur?
says...

It was a failed attempt to migrate the Dejanews database to Google. I don't know how much they lost, but every thing I'd written was erased from the record and I'd been a participant all over the place for a long time.
There was a sorta oops, we broke it permanently message when it happened. --I'll admit to wondering if they meant to break it.
The information is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

(Are there typos or words missing from that sentence. I confess to a failure to decipher any meaning from it.)

According to the cited article, the "oops" occurred in 1999-2000 prior to the DejaNews/eBay transaction in 2000. I offer no comment as to the validity of the information on Wikipedia.
<Quote> In 1999 the site (now known as Deja.com) sharply changed direction and made its primary feature a shopping comparison service. During this transition, which involved relocation of the servers, many older messages in the Usenet archive became unavailable.
By late 2000 the company, in financial distress, sold the shopping service to eBay, who incorporated the technology into their half.com service.
By 2001 the search service was shut down. The archives were acquired by Google[3] and reintroduced as Google Groups. </Quote>
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

No mention there at all of Google losing any data, just the statement that "during this transition, many older messages ... became unavailable." In the first place, the wording of this sentence implies temporary unavailability, not permanent loss. Second, the "transition" referred to was (as the article makes clear) a change in *Deja's* operations which occurred two years *before* the sale to Google.
phorbin wrote:

It says that deja lost a lot of data in 1999 and that Google bought deja in 2001. Seems to me that you're blaming Google for somebody else's mistake.
phorbin wrote:

Did you even read the above article? Generally, if you post a link to support your case, the link supports your case? I know doing a search on "the" back to 1981 you get messages posted back that far. What parts of usenet is archived, or if any message have been lost, or removed, I certainly can't say, and your wikipedia link doesn't say Google lost anything.
If you can't find messages you know you posted, I guess either they were lost, or, your search parameters didn't work, or, the search engine isn't working.
I know while looking through some of this I found Google said they have over a TRILLION web pages indexed. I know, thats not messages but that is a hell of a lot of pages. For an old guy like me, I'm constantly amazed at how fast all this stuff works. Storing this much stuff is awesome, but searching through it for info is mind boggling to me.
--
Jack
Mike wrote:

"Hello All,
Currently some Google Groups are not being indexed and thus new content is not showing up in search results. We're aware of the issue and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thanks for your patience."
The Google Groups Team http://groups.google.com/group/groupsknownissues/browse_thread/thread/d88d02f269a7d20d
That says that "new content" is not showing up but what you found, and I verified, is that older content isn't being shown. Maybe the two are related.
Tanus
Mike wrote:

Somehow Google has managed to hose their indexes. Give it a few days and it will probably be working again and some other group will be busted.
: So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google : Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I : did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the : oldest being from July 9.
: I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot : find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any : one have the same problem, or a fix?
I've been having problems searching newsgroups on Google for months now. If you go to "advanced search", there is a date delimiter, but more often than not I can't retrieve posts I know exist even if I set the date rang for the last ten years.
Something's awry.
    -- Andy Barss