Google Groups Search

Page 1 of 2
So, I was trying to do a search of the group archives using Google Groups. It seems that I'm only getting results from the past month. I did a test search on the term 'saw' and only got 280 results, with the oldest being from July 9.
I've looked all over in the groups preferences and so on, but cannot find anything that would set a limit on the age of the results. Any one have the same problem, or a fix?
Mike wrote:

You are right, something is at least broken temporarily. Hopefully not permanent.
--
Froz...

Get yourself a news reader and use a news server instead of Google.
Gordon Shumway
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:46:50 -0500, Gordon Shumway

I believe the typical news server doesn't archive the content. If that's the case, the only posts that would be available would be those within that server's retention policy which varies from provider to provider.
There may be more complete archives of specific groups, but it's my understanding that Google Groups is probably the most complete (least incomplete?) general archive available.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Tom,
Currently there are over 30,000 posts on Newsguy that match the OP's criteria. The oldest is dated May of 2005. I have no idea how long Google retains posts for but I would think it wouldn't be that long.
Gordon Shumway

Scroll down to 2001 and look at the first company aquisition. To the best of my knowledge, Google does not remove newsgroup posts, ever.
Larry

http://www.google.com/corporate/history.html

Larry,
See my reply to J.Clarke. I didn't sort Google by date to find the oldest message because I couldn't find how to sort. How old is the oldest message at google for this group? Is it older than Newsguy's May of 2005?
Gordon Shumway
Gordon Shumway wrote:

December 20, 1990.

I regularly get results from 1998 and earlier when doing basic searches.
I just recently tried to look up some information on solid surface countertops in here, because it's a regularly discussed topic, and I got 1 result, and that was with "Corian." I couldn't even use "solid surface counter" and get any hits.
Hopefully they get this cleared up soon.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

At one point the DejaNews archives, which was sold to eBay in 2000 and then to Google in 2001, contained the messages back to 1981.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I just did a quick search and found posts as far back as Dec 1992. Are we using the same Google Groups? ;o}
Larry

Here is where I went:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?lnk=srgmt&q=rec.woodworking
I don't know of any other. But then I only went there yesterday for the first time :)
Gordon Shumway
Gordon Shumway wrote:

That page doesn't have a sort--to find the oldest message you have to use the advanced search.

Then click on "Advanced Search". Pick a date range of 1/1/1992 - 1/1/1993 In the field below that put in rec.woodworking. Leave everything else blank and click on the Advanced Search button.
What I see is 3110 messages that meet that criteria.
Larry
Larry wrote:

They will on request, under some circumstances.
216.151.153.60:

FWIW, they seem to respect X-No-Archive. I've seen messages that were going to disappear in a few days when the X-No-Archive timeout expired.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

x-no-archive originated with deja so of course deja honors it.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Well, Gordon, you think wrong. Google Groups is what used to be known as "dejanews", whose sole purpose to existence was an attempt to archive _everything_ that had _ever_ been posted on USENET. When Google took over deja, they had posts going back to 1996. Google has since obtained several other archives that contain posts going back to 1981.
Where Google went wrong was when they decided to compete with USENET instead of just archiving it.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

A news readar and news server is not a substitute for the dejanews archive that Google maintains, containing posts going back into the late '80s.