Google groups help

This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.
1) how do I post to a group without joining it?
2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?
I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks So does the help
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:49:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonnich Jensen

proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

??? You just did post to rec.woodworking. There's nothing to join. Some news readers can also search the newsgroups.
Try alt.windows7.general
Dave wrote:

proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups? Last I checked, there were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone to join it to post.
Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?
Dave wrote:

He asked about "Google Groups"--which is not quite the same as Usenet (obviously), althogh many Usenet groups are Googe Groups.
Last I checked, there

A group corresponding to a local music non-profit organization that I was once a member of. Hmm..maybe it's a Yahoo group. If you are still concerned about the difference I'll look it up.

Then it was my mistake. I thought he was asking about usenet groups (like this one).
Dave wrote:

I think there was just confusion about the difference. No prob.

...then again their are the moderated Usenet groups where someone (or a few) screens everything before it's posted. Moderators can be fickle... maybe he didn't like you. I'd take it personally. ;~)
John
Dave wrote:

Follow the following link. It will permit you to create a group and restrict, if you wish, who can post to it.
http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&pli=1
Last I checked, there

Make you own (see above)!

It's not just Google groups. Usenet groups can be moderated, too. My server shows 68 .moderated groups and they only carry text groups.

One I used to follow is sci.military.moderated.

Any that are .moderated.
Sonnich Jensen wrote:

Get to the group (see below) and sign in.

By typing the group name - in whole or part - in the search window.

So choose the option to have the "old look". Better yet, dump Google groups and post/read through one of the many free news servers.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:49:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonnich Jensen

proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

Google groups include many old (text only) Usenet groups. However, most new Usenet groups created in the past few years are not carried there. Plus they allow people to create google groups which are not also usenet groups. Very confusing...
Microsoft no longer supports any of its products via Usenet or even has a news server. Many old groups from the past are still alive on Usenet (and apparently Google groups?) microsoft.public.it.windows7 exists on Usenet and may possibly be carried by Google groups. Due to its poor propagation it may be useless even on the few servers which carry the group.
Handy search tool for searching for true Usenet groups. http://groupsearch.alt-config.net/engine.html http://groupsearch.alt-config.net/cgi-bin/prop.pl?action=search&group=microsoft.public.it.windows7&cpout=yes&sorting=group
And yes, Google has been *removing* features from its 'Groups' interface since shortly after it bought the Deja News archive! "Sucks" is way too mild of an adjective to describe my feelings...
--
William

Most groups don't allow outsiders to post. Lucky to be able to read.
If you are into the subject join. If just kicking tires don't.
Martin in a number of groups.